• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'BIG' news tomorrow

Oli

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would have assumed that the council are fairly on board. However there is clearly something slightly controversial given Ed's comment about needing all those flats. Like Malcolm, I can remember from the last development that the SJC was a protected building thus the location of the new stands.

Interesting.

citysfinest

The big powers have silenced me. So much for free
Why students? Exeter students are scum. The ground will be vandalised in drunken "fun"

PeteUSA

Over the decades, the residents of the houses in St James Road have put the mockers on any sort of stand blocking their view of the away end goal. It seems from the E&E illustration that the stand suggested for there is the same height as the Flybe/Doble, which makes it as high as the houses behind it. Thats one hell of an obliteration of any view they've been used to.

RobG

Lol, they cant watch games for free sat on their roofs having a laugh and not paying, buy a house 10 feet from a football ground, then cry when a roof is put on! What did they think was going to happen! Having their cake and eating it!

SDRighton

I reckon we could get replicas of the Wembley twin towers on those buttresses on Well Street. Bit of novelty. Definitely space for a cornershop selling bulk pot noodles too.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would be great to be in a stand next to the away fans if they filled that many! Would be electric + a new roof would all add a little more spice to a derby game! Does it actually say though if they are planning on making it seated or standing?
We are looking at the prospect of Championship football. It will therefore almost certainly be seated.

Of course we could always seat away fans on one of the sides and keep this for our own fans!

PeteUSA

Lol, they cant watch games for free sat on their roofs having a laugh and not paying, buy a house 10 feet from a football ground, then cry when a roof is put on! What did they think was going to happen! Having their cake and eating it!
To be clear, I was refering to the existing houses in St James Road only, Not any student flats planned for the future.

malcolms

St. James' Centre is not a protected building. It will be bought at an agreed value.
Thanks RW, but it is listed isn't it?

Agreed value? isnt that always the case in a deal between two people, but it doesnt answer the question.

As I said in my original post, if its economically viable and sustainable you should be congratulated but I would hate to see the thing mired in accusations of secret deals.

Most of the houses in St James Rd are now student occupied or converted to leasehold flats so rejections are likely to be reduced.

Why students? Under the Article 4 Directive ECC have , it would seem, accepted that the area around SJP is the most intensely student occupied part of the city and it will stay that way, hence demand says students. Working with a provider like Unite or Opal makes perfect sense. Like it or not, students are now paying in some cases £125 per room for their accommodation, the maths just wont stack for any other group.

Having said that, every bubble bursts and there are signs already that Exeter will have more student housing than it needs in the next twelve months regardless of this.

Interesting to see where it goes, but can't help feeling for the remaining residential occupiers of St James.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Definitely space for a cornershop selling bulk pot noodles too.
The corner shop will be on the corner of the Well St./St James' Road junction.