• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'BIG' news tomorrow

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks RW, but it is listed isn't it?
I cant see why a two story former girls school building that was built as recently as the 30's should be listed. School buildings equally as old i.e. Central School, Heavitree School, Bradley Rowe etc. have been bulldozed. Why would this be listed?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks RW, but it is listed isn't it?

Agreed value? isnt that always the case in a deal between two people, but it doesnt answer the question.

As I said in my original post, if its economically viable and sustainable you should be congratulated but I would hate to see the thing mired in accusations of secret deals.
Malcolm,it is not listed. It will be bought at market value.

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

I am also assuming that matters with the council have been sorted i.e. agreement on a new extended lease and an indication that planning consents for this development would not be a stumbling block.
My understanding is that a number of meetings have been held with Council officers over the past 9/12 months and the members were given a preview of the exhibition and consultation last night. I believe both the City and County councils are generally supportive in principle, but be under no illusions that there is still a long way to go, even in terms of the planning process which, in this country, gets more complex and convoluted with each passing year. We also, of course, have to pass all the standard checks and balances to conform with planning policy, both nationally and locally.

It is interesting that the City council, in promoting their new "vision" for the revamp of the City centre have deemed to dub the area around upper Sidwell Street and St. James the "Grecian Quarter".

One thing in our favour is that the site is very "sustainable" and is easily accessed by travel modes other than private cars, yet there is substantial parking avaiable within walking distance. The number of parking spaces on site is being kept virtually the same as are available at the moment, so there should be no increase in traffic in the area which is a big plus on such a constricted local road network. Compare that to if SJP were to be developed for housing with, say, 120 dwellings on the site (probably quite a conservative estimate) and all the attendant traffic movements that would occur from that.

Last edited:

Red Monster

We are looking at the prospect of Championship football. It will therefore almost certainly be seated.

Of course we could always seat away fans on one of the sides and keep this for our own fans!
I was hoping the capacity would have been minimum 12k , do you know after converting
the BB to all seater what capacity we would end up with.

elginCity

there are signs already that Exeter will have more student housing than it needs in the next twelve months regardless of this.
Ed's response to that was "The scheme doesn't add up financially if you reduce the number of flats", so with the additional 500 new flats proposed at SJP, if the supply is not filled by student demand, could they be let to Joe Public instead?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ed's response to that was "The scheme doesn't add up financially if you reduce the number of flats", so with the additional 500 new flats proposed at SJP, if the supply is not filled by student demand, could they be let to Joe Public instead?
The expansion plans for the University will provide a very high demand for a number of years.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was hoping the capacity would have been minimum 12k , do you know after converting
the BB to all seater what capacity we would end up with.
Sorry, haven't got that info at the moment.

malcolms

Malcolm,it is not listed. It will be bought at market value.
Well, if that's the case I must say I'm surprised, because what other reason would there have been not to demolish it when the Doble stand was built....

Ian Sideman

I must say, from the information that's available, this looks like a fantatstic project.

Wow, this really would move us forward.

Congratulations to all involved and good luck with the difficult bit !

Mike Blackstone

I understand the corner shop will be a branch of Ann Summers.