• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Best ever come backs ?

In the promotion year 76/77 City were 3-0 down at Barnsley and turned it around to a 4-3 win the following week we won promotion.There was no sky sports news or even decent radioin those days I heard City were 3-0 down but didnt know the final score until the following day after school ! Any one remember any other great fight backs ,last night must be on par.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
In the promotion year 76/77 City were 3-0 down at Barnsley and turned it around to a 4-3 win the following week we won promotion.There was no sky sports news or even decent radioin those days I heard City were 3-0 down but didnt know the final score until the following day after school ! Any one remember any other great fight backs ,last night must be on par.
Torquay, Oxford?

wemissmoxey

I believe Poulty had a break over the summer.

Grecian_Jay

My favourite comeback would be the one where I said to my mate "Where are your glasses?" and he said "I've got contacts", so I said "I don't care who you know".

The old ones are the best.

Officer Dibble

Not necessarily the two greatest comebacks ever but I remember the home games v Darlington* and Stockport during the 88/89 season when we were 1-0 and 2-0 down respectively going into the final few minutes and scored two late goals on both occasions to win 2-1 and draw 2-2, but what was very amusing was that it was the same opposition goalkeeper for both games - Nigel Batch I think he was called. He must have been sick of the sight of St James Park after that...

* and a special mention for my mate who left at 0-1 because he was so p***ed off only to get home and find we had won 2-1 :D

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
It doesn't really count as it meant nothing in the end, but I remember coming from 4-1 down to equalise against Reading at SJP under Ballie, only for us to end up with 10 men due to injuries and go on to lose 6-4

wemissmoxey

It doesn't really count as it meant nothing in the end, but I remember coming from 4-1 down to equalise against Reading at SJP under Ballie, only for us to end up with 10 men due to injuries and go on to lose 6-4
Jimmy Quinn wonder goals, fantastic game.

Poultice

I really enjoyed Logie's brace at Oxford, there is nothing in the world to match the feeling of nicking a point, Billy Jones at Grays being a particular favourite of mine.

Comebacks are a bit of a Cheesy trademark, I can only remember few from back in the day, whereas more recently we seem to be made of sterner stuff.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Remember a boxing day game v torquay in the 80's with city three up at half time, torquay got three back in what seemed like about 5 mins before Ray Platt got our winner.

When we played Fulham a few weeks after losing 6-4 to reading we went from 2-0 down to 3-2 up in about 10 mins before half time and went on to win 6-4.

Apart from Barnsley have never heard of city being three behind and getting a result or chucking win away from 3-0 up. Believe we nearly chucked four goal lead away v Millwall in 80's 5-1 to 5-4 but wasn't there.

axred

Remember a boxing day game v torquay in the 80's with city three up at half time, torquay got three back in what seemed like about 5 mins before Ray Platt got our winner.

When we played Fulham a few weeks after losing 6-4 to reading we went from 2-0 down to 3-2 up in about 10 mins before half time and went on to win 6-4.

Apart from Barnsley have never heard of city being three behind and getting a result or chucking win away from 3-0 up. Believe we nearly chucked four goal lead away v Millwall in 80's 5-1 to 5-4 but wasn't there.
I remember that Torquay game , also remember being impressed with the 3900ish crowd which was huge at that time , how times change

Last edited: