• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bands you’ve seen ........

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Morrissey/Marr are not the easiest to emulate. Anyone can stick a gladioli up their **** but it's much harder to play like Marr. To paraphrase Noel Gallagher: "Even Johnny Marr can't play Johnny Marr's stuff".

Marr still regularly tours the UK and plays Smiths songs alongside his solo work. He was in Bridport a few years ago which I completely missed at the time.
All I'd say is that if they're playing near you and go watch them and see what you think. The two guys who are the Morrissey/Marr part of the band are really good, Obviously they're not the real thing but IMHO pretty dam close

Stelios

All I'd say is that if they're playing near you and go watch them and see what you think. The two guys who are the Morrissey/Marr part of the band are really good, Obviously they're not the real thing but IMHO pretty dam close
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I didn't think they could be any good. Just the opposite in fact. You have to be seriously good to cover their songs which is probably one of the reasons why there are so few Smiths tribute acts.

STURTZ

Saw the Smiths at Glastonbury once, loads of people tried to climb on the stage to which the stewards started throwing them off, Morrisey complained that they were being too "heavy". The stewards just shrugged, left and let the audience do what they liked. The stage was rapidly filled with starstruck festival goers and the gig disappointingly ground to a halt.

DB9

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I didn't think they could be any good. Just the opposite in fact. You have to be seriously good to cover their songs which is probably one of the reasons why there are so few Smiths tribute acts.
They are very technical songs, Spoke to the bass player and Marr inspired guitarist, This is their job and they said even now after playing the songs for years they still find something new when practicing

Stelios

They are very technical songs, Spoke to the bass player and Marr inspired guitarist, This is their job and they said even now after playing the songs for years they still find something new when practicing
Not helped by the fact that most of the guitar books etc with their songs are just wrong. They may sound roughly like the songs but they are not what Marr was playing. All sorts of different tunings/layering/effects etc. Or just simply too tricky to fit onto a page.

Alistair20000

MEMO TO STURTZ

Did you mean this thread ?

STURTZ

MEMO TO STURTZ

Did you mean this thread ?
Yeah, that's the one.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not much interested in pop music although I did go and see Mr Acker Bilk and his Paramount Jazz Band at the Princess Theatre Torquay. Some years later Acker brought his band out to entertain the troops at RAF Labuan off the coast of Brunei. Later I shared a bottle of whisky with him in his dressing room. A great bloke (y)