• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bad news

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think to label flakey's post as distasteful is rather over the top nor is it protecting anyone. You're being far too fragile about it Malc. It also isn't helpful calling those who did support the previous manager 'serial apologists'. You and others would be up in arms if you were labelled in such a way. What I am interested in though, seeing as you have given vent to such outrage, is how you might have acted differently.
Scenario Malc. JMT is out of contract in a few months and has turned down the best contract you have offered. Maybe his agent is whispering in his ear, but he is adamant that he wants to play above the club's current level. You meanwhile really want to keep him and would rather he didn't go on a free if you can help it. Add to that the club is challenging for promotion and being in L1 might, just might, help the problem. What would you do?
I'm not, as you suggest, up in arms and venting outrage. I'm pointing out what is a decidedly 'dodgy' bit of dealing...The answer is in the context..The boy hasn't gone to a club in a higher division, he has gone to a club in the same division 'coincidentally' managed by our ex manager. I'm calling them "serial apologists" now for failing to acknowledge the reality of a shafting...

dontpassback

He won’t be the last that Tisdale takes
Note to any player who doesn’t want to play for exeter city F.C.,leave,and let those who do want to play for exeter city get on with it,it’s that simple really ,

Stelios

I know this isn't the place for it but why on earth are the clubs paying agent's fees? If you want an agent, fine, give 10% (or whatever) of your earnings to them to look after your interests. Isn't that what happens in music/acting etc?

Pogba's agent allegedly 'earned' £40million from the Juve-Man U deal. Juve wanted to sell him, Man U wanted to buy him. There was nothing complicated about the deal. I don't mind players looking after their own interests and protecting themselves from being shafted but why would a player be happy to see that kind of money effectively going out of his own pocket into that of his agent?

Why are the clubs footing the bill?

DB9

I know this isn't the place for it but why on earth are the clubs paying agent's fees? If you want an agent, fine, give 10% (or whatever) of your earnings to them to look after your interests. Isn't that what happens in music/acting etc?

Pogba's agent allegedly 'earned' £40million from the Juve-Man U deal. Juve wanted to sell him, Man U wanted to buy him. There was nothing complicated about the deal. I don't mind players looking after their own interests and protecting themselves from being shafted but why would a player be happy to see that kind of money effectively going out of his own pocket into that of his agent?

It is a good point, My view is the PFA is suppose to look after the welfare of players, Why don't they act as agents and any money they make from representing their members in transfers be ploughed back into say helping ex pro's on hard times?

Saint James

I think to label flakey's post as distasteful is rather over the top nor is it protecting anyone. You're being far too fragile about it Malc. It also isn't helpful calling those who did support the previous manager 'serial apologists'. You and others would be up in arms if you were labelled in such a way. What I am interested in though, seeing as you have given vent to such outrage, is how you might have acted differently.
Scenario Malc. JMT is out of contract in a few months and has turned down the best contract you have offered. Maybe his agent is whispering in his ear, but he is adamant that he wants to play above the club's current level. You meanwhile really want to keep him and would rather he didn't go on a free if you can help it. Add to that the club is challenging for promotion and being in L1 might, just might, help the problem. What would you do?
If I had been the decision maker I would have put together a contract significantly higher than JMT's existing contract based on a League One wage. This would have been on the table for July 1 2018 there was little benefit the club paying JMT an advance in the region of £25,000 and his agent if he walks away before 1 July. I would therefore have offered him the contract he signed in January in July (without the bleeding clause)

D__Lo__

The last question is easy because the clubs have no choice. At the top end, all the best players have agents so no co-operation = no player.

Looking at a lot of modern footballers, especially at the top end of the game again I would also question their capability to negotiate effectively and/or have the gumption necessary. I think a middle man can help maintain relations between clubs and players too especially in tough negotiations, it removes the player somewhat. I also get the impression there's a lot involved with being an agent too, in terms of the commercial side and also providing a PA service of sorts.

But tbh you're right, they can come at a high price and are far from a real necessity. When money's involved you can be sure that there will be professions that grow like a parasite on the back of it.

Well-known Exeweb poster
such a clause wasn't just incompetent it was potentially financially damaging...He was employed to protect the club's interest and he clearly did not see it that way.
think the negotiations are more down to taggy and att perryman, cant really see why tis would be involved ,, he'd say yes i want him or no lets b rid , but the dealings contracts ,, not his dept

elginCity

Note to any player who doesn’t want to play for exeter city F.C.,leave,and let those who do want to play for exeter city get on with it,it’s that simple really ,
With respect you're not the first in this thread, or elsewhere, to make the case for this but I really don't understand it. Say you yourself were making a living as a professional footballer and, for instance, Scunthorpe (or Hartlepool) were interested, you'd consider joining them for various reasons; financial, a springboard, you like the manager's approach etc. etc. But definitely NOT because you want to play for Hartlepool (or Scunthorpe) !

Too many fans suffer from 'kissing the badge' syndrome, demanding a player's blind loyalty to their club, especially homegrown players. It doesn't exist, their career prospects and livelihood take precedence.

D__Lo__

think the negotiations are more down to taggy and att perryman, cant really see why tis would be involved ,, he'd say yes i want him or no lets b rid , but the dealings contracts ,, not his dept
It used to be part of their remit and given how long and the power Tisdale had at the club it does seem like a fair assumption. Whether that's right or not who knows.

But one thing, it's going to be a lot more detailed then you suggest. There's budgets involved and future planning. At the very least it's hard to see Tisdale not being asked about his opinion on whether such a clause is a good idea or if he wants to get rid of a player who may not be in it for the long-haul.

Fareham Grecian

Christ but this is impossible to understand. I don’t know whose punctuation is worse, yours or malcolms’...