• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bad news

Stelios

It is a good point, My view is the PFA is suppose to look after the welfare of players, Why don't they act as agents and any money they make from representing their members in transfers be ploughed back into say helping ex pro's on hard times?
Trouble is, it's basically been Gordon Taylor's personal fiefdom since 1981 and he earns an unbelievable £3-4million a year to run it so I'm not sure I'd trust them either! Not to mention his gambling habit (widely reported).

Stelios

The last question is easy because the clubs have no choice. At the top end, all the best players have agents so no co-operation = no player.

Looking at a lot of modern footballers, especially at the top end of the game again I would also question their capability to negotiate effectively and/or have the gumption necessary. I think a middle man can help maintain relations between clubs and players too especially in tough negotiations, it removes the player somewhat. I also get the impression there's a lot involved with being an agent too, in terms of the commercial side and also providing a PA service of sorts.

But tbh you're right, they can come at a high price and are far from a real necessity. When money's involved you can be sure that there will be professions that grow like a parasite on the back of it.
I think they are a necessity. (I wouldn't have a clue how to negotiate image rights etc). I just don't understand why the clubs pay them. It should be the players. Like in other industries?

D__Lo__

I just don't understand why the clubs pay them.
The clubs have no choice, it's an associated cost. I expect one clever agent negotiated a club pay him his fees rather than his client and this caught on to become common practice. The costs are often a small fraction of the transfer fee and proportionately a lot less to a football club than an individual and a small price to pay in order to get the footballer they want.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not, as you suggest, up in arms and venting outrage. I'm pointing out what is a decidedly 'dodgy' bit of dealing...The answer is in the context..The boy hasn't gone to a club in a higher division, he has gone to a club in the same division 'coincidentally' managed by our ex manager. I'm calling them "serial apologists" now for failing to acknowledge the reality of a shafting...
Ok malc, you win you serial moaner. ;)

The deluder

Don't fret he is very injury prone and won't play more than 25 games next season. Particularly after Stockley gets into him!

100milesaway

Don't fret he is very injury prone and won't play more than 25 games next season. Particularly after Stockley gets into him!
That’s if he doesn’t go to MK

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lawson D'Ath has signed for MK Dons.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Wouldn't it be a real kick in the teeth now for City to go up next season and MK dongs to implode and get relegated lol

IndoMike

Wouldn't it be a real kick in the teeth now for City to go up next season and MK dongs to implode and get relegated lol
I would hate for that to happen...(rofl)

Last edited:

arthur

Apologies for not reading the whole thread; this has probably been said before but this seems a strange lifestyle choice. Had he sat tight he could have done an Ollie and moved to mid range Championship club and gone to live somewhere half decent. Instead he's in the fourth division and moving to one of the most boring parts of England