• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Away End Crush Today

Hampshire White

So which is it? Okay so they didn't say that there was a crush but they shouldn't need to. I accept that a large number didn't hear and that the situation shouldn't have happened in the first place but when the tannoy announces that fans should move to aid their fellow supporters...

The 'fellow supporters' bit was unheard to the left of the goal! All we heard was move up followed by Exeter & Leeds fans shouting at each other

The wording over the tannoy was "we will attempt to accomodate you with your fellow fans". If too many had turned up from the home end then it would have been a bit of a shock but the game would probably have been delayed while a solution was provided elsewhere in the ground.

I spoke to leeds fans before the game who were told by the old bill that "they would be moved into the away end". Why say that when they had no idea how many there would be?

Because several of Leeds' numpties were on here last week saying how the Big Bank would be the new away end. In a stand as small as the BB it can only take 2 or 3 ****** up idiots from either side to start a lot of trouble. We've got some tw*ts too remember.
Come on! This happens week in week out, and nothing ever comes of it! If there is an incident, deal with it on it's own merits!! Why not stop all away fans from every game, just in case something kicks off!!!

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Overall the d+c need to be dragged out of the 70's and realise that Leeds (and other big club fans) do not need to be herded into Exeter like cattle that they can behave themselves and can make their own way to the ground without smashing the place to bits...
How very true. But it's not just the D & C Constabulary. As a regular away traveller on the offical coach(es), we have been treated much the same on occasion, sometimes with some common sense, sometimes not....I am sure others recall the Bradford City and Gillingham experiences in particular.

The great irony is that 99% of those who would be minded to "stir it" or go hell-bent on looking for bovver travel independently of any organised travel, official or otherwise, with no monitoring or chaperoning whatsoever from the boys in blue.

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
YES YES YES
I would hope the fact this was a near miss ,things will improve.
OH ,On the Leeds fans complaints, this will be all old news in a couple of days when there 4500 fans pack into White hart lane next weekend for there Cup game.
By the way you shouldn`t have any crushing issues there ,City took 10,000 in 1981 and it was fine.
Subject closed for me.
Citizen.
I agree with your opening sentiments citizen, but from personal experience know that everything at Spurs wasn't how you remember it.

Firstly we were restricted to around 7,000 fans that day, something that we complained about as the rules at that time mean't that we could feel entitled to 25% of the tickets (closer to your 10,000).

Secondly, there were ground safety issues that day and tannoy announcements were made asking City fans to move.
Although the old Park Lane end in which we were accommodated was far larger than our away end, something similar happened in that many City fans would not move towards the side adjoining the East Stand. This may partly have been because it was overlooked by the shelf and adjoined a sectioned off area known as "The Cage" where troublesome Spurs fans liked to stand, but primarily was probably for the same selfish reasons that Leeds fans didn't move on Saturday.
Whatever, it caused over packed areas & I remember moving to the under occupied East side of the Stand where many stood tut tutting about the Police, facilities, our own fans etc. Thankfully enough people did eventually move over but it did remain very packed to our left. As for the Tottenham Hoolies, aside from a bit of catcalling I don't recall any incidents in the ground (aside from Tony Galvins assault on Ian Pearson).

met man

i was stewarding on saturday and i knew we would be blamed somehow there was plenty of room in the away end but the leeds fans would not move over and to force them would have sparked a riot the well behaved fans came in early to stand behind the goal would not have been happy to move for the hooligans who alway arrive last after that extra pint,Once the idiots saw they could exploit the situation they did by pushing towards the front even they were standing in space. While it was a bit worrying for a while no one was hurt and we tried our best to a unresponsive crowd lessons will be learnt i agree but we have had bigger crowds in the away end with no problem

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
i was stewarding on saturday and i knew we would be blamed somehow
Lesson the first. It's always the fault of the stewards.

HeadLiner

i was stewarding on saturday and i knew we would be blamed somehow there was plenty of room in the away end but the leeds fans would not move over and to force them would have sparked a riot the well behaved fans came in early to stand behind the goal would not have been happy to move for the hooligans who alway arrive last after that extra pint,Once the idiots saw they could exploit the situation they did by pushing towards the front even they were standing in space. While it was a bit worrying for a while no one was hurt and we tried our best to a unresponsive crowd lessons will be learnt i agree but we have had bigger crowds in the away end with no problem
Oh dear . . . you are a steward and have an attitude like that. I'd expect your resignation on my desk in the morning. It has been pretty clearly established that the hardcore scarfers were held up by police and arrived just before kick off but hey, why let facts get in the way of your ignorant viewpoint.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Where were you stewarding?

Many of the late comers were on official coaches and had just arrived, I'd be very surprised if they were drunk. This was on police "advice" something the police and yourself are clearly clueless about.

So according to yourself, it was a few idiots pushing, according to pretty much anyone on the BB it looked pretty full and semi dangerous.

Then, stewards like you have the audacity, to claim you get the blame for things??? Get your head out of your own arse and get into the real world then you may see you have barely been blamed for anything, but writing rubbish like you have will turn people against you. But that's what you want isn't it?

met man

i was on the bb but went to help when i saw the situation

Nik Saunders

I think your out of order and you should hold your head in shame for your comments, as a steward your a representative of our club on match days.

Calling them hooligans is not right, plus most of those coming in late were the ones held up by the police.

If I was the club, I'll give you the sack.

shabbashaz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think your out of order and you should hold your head in shame for your comments, as a steward your a representative of our club on match days.

Calling them hooligans is not right, plus most of those coming in late were the ones held up by the police.

If I was the club, I'll give you the sack.
Which as a steward he should have known how the late arrivals of fans had happened, also it's been mentioned on this thread numerous times.

Have to agree with you, Nik