• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ashes 2015

Silver fox

Very well known Exeweb poster
Done and dusted(y)

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Extraordinary series this !
Well done England - Ashes Retained at a canter (clap)

Silver fox

Superb presentations after the match.

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
well England made mincemeat of the Australians. Hopefulyy they can go on to make it 4/1 at the Oval.

Alistair20000

Back to the abysmal from England today; feckin' dire. :mad:

Finn committed the cardinal sin of losing a wicket due to a no ball.

Two moderate teams.

Last edited:

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
All over and one of the stranger series but we'd have a taken any win 2 months ago. Be interesting to see what squad is picked for UAE given conditions and opposition are so different to what we have had this summer and what we will then have in S Africa.

Alistair20000

All over and one of the stranger series but we'd have a taken any win 2 months ago. Be interesting to see what squad is picked for UAE given conditions and opposition are so different to what we have had this summer and what we will then have in S Africa.
Agreed and although it is always nice to beat the Aussies this series has not really grabbed me with the batting which has been very poor on the whole.

More spin options needed from a rather bare cupboard for the UAE and we need some proper test batsmen for SA, but again not sure where they are at the moment. I fear that Adam Lyth will have lost his place.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
In a way it's a good thing we lost the final Test as a 4-1 win (like the 3-0 in 2013) would have masked some serious anomalies in the line up.

Lyth up top just hasn't worked, can't put my finger on it with him as clearly he is good enough but kept getting set then getting himself out.

Bell had one good match, he has admitted himself he is "taking stock" right now.

Looks like Moeen Ali will move from 8 to opening for the Pakistan series. Hmmm. In terms of spin options, there are one or two waiting in the wings but there is a dearth of spin talent everywhere right now - as I've said before in England it's partly down to the pitches and the CC schedule with matches front and back loaded meaning very few matches during the time of the season which should be most fertile for developing spin. Ravi Patel at Middx (admittedly had an injury during the season) has played just one CC match. Personally I think Kerrigan should be given a proper try, while I think James Taylor should be given a go in place of Bell.

Alex Hales did his chances no harm with another big knock, although I still wonder if he has the temperament and technique for the Test arena.

Buttler is on very shaky ground too, not sure who is next in line right now - especially as Davies of Surrey doesn't keep currently.

First Test, UAE:

Cook (c)
Ali
Taylor
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Broad
Wood (exchange for Finn if necessary)
Anderson
Kerrigan

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree about Taylor for Bell. No Rashid though? Vaughan on TMS yday said he'd take Ansari as the 3rd spinner which was a surprise. He's struggled with the bat this season but his bowling has developed albeit in Div 2 of course!

I don't see why Bairstow can't keep if Buttler doesn't make some runs soon. Davies has given up the gloves for good but been in wonderful nick with the willow. Chance gone though for him.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Agree about Taylor for Bell. No Rashid though? Vaughan on TMS yday said he'd take Ansari as the 3rd spinner which was a surprise. He's struggled with the bat this season but his bowling has developed albeit in Div 2 of course!

I don't see why Bairstow can't keep if Buttler doesn't make some runs soon. Davies has given up the gloves for good but been in wonderful nick with the willow. Chance gone though for him.
Rashid would be in the party, but I don't see him as providing anything that you don't get with Moeen, he is certainly not a "front line" spinner.

Of course, I forgot Bairstow keeps. Problem solved, if Buttler doesn't pull his finger out then stick another batsman in (Hales?).