• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are we now a mediocre conference team?

Jim Shepherd

[/B]

Which once again begs the question of why didn't we strengthen in the summer instead of waiting until Jan? By then we could be 20 points off the top and maybe 8 or 9 off the play-offs. We can't expect to win the sprint for the final play-off spot every year (and in fact we have failed by a single point twice)
GG
Well, just maybe these types of players weren't available then. But with their sides struglling at the wrong end, (whereas we are only struggling at the higher middle end :D) we should be able to put across a good case for these type of players to join us to progress.
I felt (only my opinion again) that Tis did ok (no more than ok) in attemting to replace those that left in the summer, we had not really strengthened, nor got weaker.
Given that I felt we had a good chance of reproducing the end of season form of last year and we would be higher in the league than we are currently.
But, for whatever reason it appears we haven't so now we must look to january.

C

Cliff Bastins Shorts

[/B]

Which once again begs the question of why didn't we strengthen in the summer instead of waiting until Jan? By then we could be 20 points off the top and maybe 8 or 9 off the play-offs. We can't expect to win the sprint for the final play-off spot every year (and in fact we have failed by a single point twice)
Exactly, but hey, what do we know, Tis is the man for the job....;)

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why should it be down to me to explain anything he posts? It may have escaped your attention but he's old enough to explain himself.
I was asking YOUR opinion of why he went from being utterly dismayed with the state of affairs to being our number one Happy Clapper. The evidence is in front of you.

Personally I suspect that few fans who are NOT involved with some aspect of the club are feeling very positive about matters at the moment.

NO Exeter are not a mediocre conference team , that level belongs to Droylsden, Farsley etc.. But we are hardly the best either.

Todays game was a typical cup match with the home team winning. Subs may have helped but it was still 0-0 a chnage then may have won it but it could hav eback fired and everyone would have been on Managers back.

Next couple games are important a win up at Halifax and on Boxingday and we could be on same points as Forest Green or Burton right back in playoff battle.

There are lots of teams that want out of this league while others are deserpate to stay in it If Exeter ever become the later ( like Halifax or York) then mediocre tag can be used.

Grecian666

You sum it up perfectly. I am afraid society in general are impatient, no tolerance at all, never happy these days unless they win, win, win it all the time and do it and have it right NOW! Sad, very, very sad. Only one team can win anything. It's up to ECFC to be that team, but if not, then there's a next time. For a non league team to only lose 1-0 at a League Two team is an achievement, not something that should be derided, whether the you believe the tactics were correct or not.
And I guess you sum up another side of society where it's ok to underachieve and wallow in mediocrity because in the end we are in fact all "winners". That for me is sad too, equally sad. Because unfortunately, whether we like it or not, much in life is about winning and not coming second.

And as for being impatient - mmm interesting that, how long do we actually have to wait before we start to get it right, and when does impatience become just sense. 1 year. 5 years, 10 years, you tell me?

I've seen your posts here and know the work that you do for the Club / programme, with the respect you command, and your jolly jaunts off to see Mickey Mouse FC versus Closed Northern Mining Town United. And the footballing world is no doubt a nice place.

My ECFC isn't.

DaveE

I was asking YOUR opinion of why he went from being utterly dismayed with the state of affairs to being our number one Happy Clapper. The evidence is in front of you.

Personally I suspect that few fans who are NOT involved with some aspect of the club are feeling very positive about matters at the moment.
I have nothing to do with the club and I'm not overwhelmed with positivity at the moment, but at the same time, I'm not yet ready to slit my wrists. I can't see why anyone would want my opinion on someone elses' postings/views.
At the time, I too was shocked by the ticket price increase, but the club then stepped back and gave a guarantee that those who were already season ticket holders could stay in the same seat at the 'bronze' package price (which didn't guarantee you the same seat).
I don't recall the football being anything special at the time. Alex played a long ball game and we missed out on a play off spot. The difference was we had played Man Utd so everybody was basking in the rosy afterglow of that love.
This season we play better football but are no better, in terms of results. The difference, in my opinion, is we have a younger team who are more likely to grow and improve and we are in a better position off the field. Small comfort if you want immediate success, yes, but supporting City has never been easy or for the faint hearted.
If only fate had been kinder and I had first watched Arsenal.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, there is:
Nice Ky. I bet you give yourself such a hard on every time you log on.

tisdale 1

Resigned
no we are a good team in a good league getting ever better to win this league or get prometed is brillant there is no difference between league 2 and the conference no more maybe one or two teams but this league bar the 6 or 7 tin pot teams with sh*t fans and stadium and sh*t holes like grays any1 of the top 12 could go up this league is getting excting but our time to leave will br very soon

Antony Moxey

Kyunghee, since that long piece you highlighted from Mr Moxey, and very clever to might I add, he has taken the role as you know of doing the club match reports in the programme, so therefore he is now one of those who will not have anything said about the club due to his inside interest.
10/10 for trawling to get that on here:)
Bash, I was doing the match reports for the official site when I worte the piece that Kyunghee quoted, and at the time said more or less the same the same thing to Paul Morrish face to face. I expect you'll be doing the same to Steve Perryman next Saturday rather than just sniping anonymously on here?

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

I was asking YOUR opinion of why he went from being utterly dismayed with the state of affairs to being our number one Happy Clapper.
My beef at the time was with the price hike for season tickets (which, I think, was not just before this current season but the one before that) and what those season tickets entitled you to. The club modified a few bits here and there, which is what I wanted, and so I was happy to renew.

As to the quality of football, we're all entitled to our opinions as to what entails good football or not, we're all entitled to change our opinions too, and we're all entitled to think that what we're currently watching might be better or worse that what we watched one, two or twenty seasons ago.

But regardless of all that, I thought we were great yesterday. We had some decent passing and decent possession plus a couple of clear cut chances that on another day might have won us the game. And this against a team in division above us at their ground.