• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are our floodlights up to scratch?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone know what will happen when and if grandstand is flattened and there's no where to hang the lights?
No idea but your name suggests you could light up the park.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone know what will happen when and if grandstand is flattened and there's no where to hang the lights?
Assuming it's demolished in May the main structure of the new stand will presumably be in place in time to erect the floodlights before they are needed. Unless the League insist we have a home evening game early in the season.

PeteUSA

I suggest we should all study the lights carefully over the next few matches and report fully on this thread.
Excellent idea, I'll leave you to coordinate the study groups and gather up the feedback.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/appendix1.aspx

The above link is the appendix relating to minimum light levels (part 2). Now from my experience with race course lighting you generally require a higher lighting level for TV cameras especially for HD than would be adequate for the actual specular live and in person. So whilst our ground may meet the required levels it may not be ideal for TV. You will find team that has come down from the Premiership for example will have a higher average and minimum point Lux level than those standards as they have been on TV more regularly and general have provision for more than one camera location.

angelic upstart

We will require special dispensation to play in the dark.

Regarding the OP - yes, the floodlights are up to scratch. I would recommend visiting an optician.

PeteUSA

Regarding the OP - yes, the floodlights are up to scratch. I would recommend visiting an optician.
I would recommend that you log on to Channel 5 Catchup, and watch the football league program right through. Of all the games covered, our floodlighting efectiveness is by far the worse. Just to be sure, log on to Grecian Player, to which I'm sure you subscribe, and watch the full 10 minutes worth on there in glorious HD. Its not very good at all. It might be up to standard for the football league to accept, and for you to watch the game live, but surely wouldnt be good enough for the broadcasters to want to broadcast an evening game should the need arrise in the cup.

Colesman Ballz

I would recommend that you log on to Channel 5 Catchup, and watch the football league program right through. Of all the games covered, our floodlighting efectiveness is by far the worse. Just to be sure, log on to Grecian Player, to which I'm sure you subscribe, and watch the full 10 minutes worth on there in glorious HD. Its not very good at all. It might be up to standard for the football league to accept, and for you to watch the game live, but surely wouldnt be good enough for the broadcasters to want to broadcast an evening game should the need arrise in the cup.
Perchance someone left the camera behind and filmed it using their mobile instead ! ;)

Antony Moxey

if the lights are up to league standard they're good enough for a TV broadcast. You do know that TV companies cover event that happen at night, don't you, and that sometimes those events don't even have floodlights at all.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Assuming it's demolished in May the main structure of the new stand will presumably be in place in time to erect the floodlights before they are needed. Unless the League insist we have a home evening game early in the season.
Bristol city for instance had to erect poles for the lights, similar to what we have in the gap between the stand and the corner of the big bank.

We will have a fifty fifty chance of playing at home in midweek in the carling cup. Unless the league help us with the fixtures(which I think taggy was going to ask for in respect of Derby games) we would probably need the outer structure up by September or October.

Andy Holloway

All the floodlights were replaced during the close season with a 'new' set which were 'donated' by Southampton FC when they upgraded theirs. As such, they are of a far greater power and subsequently have a higher 'Lux' rating than our previous ones.

After they were installed they have to be/were tested by The Football League who issue a compliance certificate, so if they can't be quite seen from Arizona i'm sorry, but they are compliant with the current FL/FA ground regulations.