• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Another new signing?

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
He played a small part in the goal too - commented on by the MOTD pundits.

According to Joe Gallen (our assistant manager) Wheeler is keen to stay. He's been unlucky that he's been stuck behind one of the division's surprise packages this season, who has stayed fit. He's had a couple of annoying injuries that have held him back too.

I think he might end up with us permanently. We'll lose one or two to teams with more money - if not this month in the summer - and Wheeler feels very much a Kenny Jackett type player.
Ah, Joe Gallen, great bloke , glad he has got such a good job in football.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
He played a small part in the goal too - commented on by the MOTD pundits.
One of Wheeler's greatest assets is his speed. He was in his own box at the start of the move but hared upfield and drew the defender's attention away from the scorer. Good team play.

hienzeECFC

Reading between the lines of this article from last year:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2017/nov/23/david-wheeler-qpr-refugees-politics-tax-exeter-brexit

I get the impression that through no fault of his own he might rub 'traditional football types' up the wrong way a little bit?

Temporarily Exiled

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2017/nov/23/david-wheeler-qpr-refugees-politics-tax-exeter-brexit

I get the impression that through no fault of his own he might rub 'traditional football types' up the wrong way a little bit?
Depends where he goes - he'd probably be a cult hero in Liverpool.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I like Wheeler. Not afraid to speak his mind even if it might **** some people off. Good lad, would love to see him back here someday.

Fareham Grecian

That just links to the Guardian homepage for me.

But yes, I think it is unusual for a footballer to be (or to come out as) intelligent and to the left of centre.

jrg333

I wonder whether the people who "like Wheeler because he's not afraid to speak his mind" would say the same thing if he expressed right-wing views?

I doubt it. Which means you're basically saying "I like this bloke because he agrees with me."

I think footballers should stick to football and stay away from politics as far as possible. Witness Gary Lineker's shameful, scare-mongering and completely fabricated tweets about the effects of Brexit on the NHS last week. Genuinely embarrassing to see someone with such influence talk out of their arse so hopelessly. He's deleted the tweet now but the official NHS response remains: https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1081182000986406912

Just because a footballer has a degree, doesn't mean his views are any more important than anyone else's. If anything, earning thousands of pounds per week make pro footballers more out of touch with ordinary, working people than 99.9% of people we could be listening to.

Either we worship all footballers who express political views, or none. Picking and choosing the ones who agree with us is just pure, childish tribalism. And there's enough of that to go around already in modern politics.

EDIT: for the record I love Wheeler as a player and would have him back here in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

muppetdodger

I wonder whether the people who "like Wheeler because he's not afraid to speak his mind" would say the same thing if he expressed right-wing views?

I doubt it. Which means you're basically saying "I like this bloke because he agrees with me."

I think footballers should stick to football and stay away from politics as far as possible. Witness Gary Lineker's shameful, scare-mongering and completely fabricated tweets about the effects of Brexit on the NHS last week. Genuinely embarrassing to see someone with such influence talk out of their arse so hopelessly. He's deleted the tweet now but the official NHS response remains: https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1081182000986406912

Just because a footballer has a degree, doesn't mean his views are any more important than anyone else's. If anything, earning thousands of pounds per week make pro footballers more out of touch with ordinary, working people than 99.9% of people we could be listening to.

Either we worship all footballers who express political views, or none. Picking and choosing the ones who agree with us is just pure, childish tribalism. And there's enough of that to go around already in modern politics.

EDIT: for the record I love Wheeler as a player and would have him back here in a heartbeat.
This sums it up perfectly, so true

IndoMike

All kinds of people express their political and social views in the media, and we know that certain media tend to the left and some to the right. I wouldn't say that Wheeler's or Lineker's views are influential, it's just that they have a mouthpiece. In the end most people's opinions are pretty fixed : they read the media that already matches their views and they won't be influenced in other ways by famous people =they might just have their views confirmed. If Wheeler wants to talk politics publicly and someone wants to pay him for it then I see no problem.

andrew p long

Another thread that has wandered off topic... the OP was about pending announcements which turned out to be O’Shea staying and a new contract for Collins.

And specifically not a new signing about to be unveiled, whether of Wheeler or anyone else.