• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

And To Follow Up Valentines Day

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
I will never forget that night. I was 12. That cup run, and especially the nights under the floodlights against Newcastle and Leicester, the massive crowds and atmosphere, are firmly and clearly in the memory bank. I even remember the tiny details like yesterday.

Benguin

Quite some night. Was stood in the Cowshed which literally bounced with atmosphere, the old wooden sleepers only adding resonance to the noise.
Also went up there before and the sight of all those Geordies with black and white tartan scarves was a sight to behold, stood on the barriers the opposite end to where we were stood.

Last edited:

AlanDevlin

Another who dashed home to get the highlights in Sportsnight..... Point for the younger members of the forum.... This was a BIG deal as it was likely to be the last chance we would have to see the footage..... maybe on the run up to the Spurs game.... but it was likely to be confined to the archives forever.....

Now, with the magic of the inter web thingy.... just a twinkle in Tim Berners-Lee’s eyes at the time.... we can see the footage whenever we choose. It was one of the things I patiently kept searching for as YouTube blossomed.

iscalad

Stood on the bank, near the food hut. Brilliant night of football. Strange to think we scored four and Kells not on the score sheet.

contrabombarde

Another interesting aspect (well to me anyway) was that I previously netted for salmon on the Exe at Topsham back in the day and I actually supplied the salmon that the Newcastle team ate at the White Hart where they were staying the night before.

How's that for a tenuous claim to fame?

Colesman Ballz

Another interesting aspect (well to me anyway) was that I previously netted for salmon on the Exe at Topsham back in the day and I actually supplied the salmon that the Newcastle team ate at the White Hart where they were staying the night before.

How's that for a tenuous claim to fame?
Not wishing to derail the thread, but my widowed Grandmother, between the wars, marketed the fish from a few of the Topsham fishing boats belonging to the extended family. She had a contract with Macfisheries to supply their Exeter (Queen St) shop with fish at a price per pound, based on the Billingsgate price the day before. When the famous monster salmon (sixty one and three quarter pounds ?) was netted, it was packed in ice with the rest, and sent by train to Exeter Central for collection. The manager, who was obviously clueless about the publicity value, promptly returned it with a note saying he no market for such a fish ! My grandmother contacted the head office in London, and pointed out that her contract bore no stipulations regarding the size of the fish.

The Manager was duly sent down to Topsham to personally apologise, and recollect the fish ! It was mounted on display in their shop window, and subsequently donated to the Museum, for stuffing. I think it is currently on loan for display at Topsham Museum.

I will post my reply on the Valentines Follow Up experience later today, to help keep this thread on topic, as my penance for digressing ! ;)

andrew p long

ah the days of having to get there 2 hours early , even with a ticket, so as to get a decent spot..

My dear, so soon departed friend Rich Lord, who was based in York, could only watch the highlights. Hearing the intro about a'dramatic' night, thought at 3-0 that meant that Newcastle were going to get 4 in the second half....

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

ah the days of having to get there 2 hours early , even with a ticket, so as to get a decent spot...
It was pay on the gate(unless you had a Grandstand ticket)..There was insufficient time to make it all ticket for standing as was the norm in those days,when replays took place 3 or 4 days after the original game.

Iirc the gates opened at 5pm.No stewards in those days either.How did we manage:D :D (except a couple of old boys in the Grandstand who would point people in the right direction for their seat).

andrew p long

It was pay on the gate(unless you had a Grandstand ticket)..There was insufficient time to make it all ticket for standing as was the norm in those days,when replays took place 3 or 4 days after the original game.
You're quite right! I would have had to leave work early even though I finished at 5 in Southernhay..the anxiety about not getting in at all...despite having been to 5 games in that run (leatherhead, Maidstone (A) Leicester (A) Leicester (H) and Newcastle (A))The priority ticket system is much better!

eurogrecian

Great memories! Thanks for sharing that.