• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Accrington Stanley vs Exeter City - Match Day Thread.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tillson didn't come through the academy
Oh sorry, My mistake. Where did he come from?

LDNGrecian

Oh sorry, My mistake. Where did he come from?
Bristol Rovers. You could count Seaborne to make it 6 though ;)

IndoMike

Bristol Rovers. You could count Seaborne to make it 6 though ;)
That escaped me.
You could count Seaborne

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

[video=youtube;I-JnFzje5DI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-JnFzje5DI[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-JnFzje5DI

Legohead

Banned
Interesting to read from Oldsmobile about the small section of the whole away terrace being where the Exeter fans were. I must admit that had i gone i'd have been pretty annoyed at this. I'm not one who likes being squashed in like sardines at the best of times, especially when there is a gaping empty terrace with only a smattering of home fans to the left. Do Accrington do this at every home game then for smaller support or was it just because they were expecting a much, much bigger home crowd than usual?

I've been to Accrington twice with Torquay and always had the run of the terrace and there also being a couple of hundred fans. I know last time i went a few years ago they had extended the depth of the terrace with some sort of temporary metal structure added on the back overlooking the playing fields.

Just thought i'd ask having seen the pictures of our fans on the highlights very kindly put up by Hants.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I expect they were hoping for more home fans/neutrals to show up as it wasn’t all ticket.

In the event it wasn’t needed, in one respect 2800 home fans for a chance to be promoted to their highest ever level isn’t very good, but it’s possibly around double the number they normally get.

Legohead

Banned
I expect they were hoping for more home fans/neutrals to show up as it wasn’t all ticket.

In the event it wasn’t needed, in one respect 2800 home fans for a chance to be promoted to their highest ever level isn’t very good, but it’s possibly around double the number they normally get.
Then when they open up next season at home to Burton Albion they will be back to the usual crowds as the one day wonders from yesterday who find it impossible to retain an attention span for a whole season go let alone a couple of games, go and find something else to do of a Saturday afternoon.

Yesterday AND their promotion is all about those 1000 or so who have backed the club for years and not the day trippers. I'd have more respect for the day trippers IF they continued to attend afterwards but most don't. Obviously not including fans who may for genuine reasons not be able to get to any other games in a season due to maybe living in another country or being so disabled that leaving the house just isn't a viable option other than for things that are absolutely vital.

Accrington are no different to any other club though who try and attract new fans off the back of success but 6 months later when they are struggling again, most of the new fans have long gone. The predictability and shallowness of human behaviour does intrigue me sometimes. :D

Anyway, that aside - i'd be interested to know if they did this just for our game or whether they've done it all season so i'll have to check out some footage of previous Accy home games this season against sides with smaller than usual followings.

I say smaller but nearly 300 Grecians there is an excellent turnout and hats off to each and every one of them for that!

Red Devon

Going by the highlights it looked as though Matt Jay had a very good game again.

Oldsmobile-88

Anyway, that aside - i'd be interested to know if they did this just for our game or whether they've done it all season so i'll have to check out some footage of previous Accy home games this season against sides with smaller than usual followings.

I say smaller but nearly 300 Grecians there is an excellent turnout and hats off to each and every one of them for that!
It was split off when they played FGR a month ago..

I have seen all of the Grecians games at Accy since the Conference(2003) & yesterdays atmosphere was by far the best(well done Red Legion,they were excellent all game) Usually its 100 to 150 spread out on a terrace that holds 10 times that many & it’s impossible to get a good noise going.

I suppose Accrington knew we were not likely to bring more than 300 +,so I can understand why they did section off the terrace,which ironically was better noise wise for the Grecian followers.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
It was split off when they played FGR a month ago..

I have seen all of the Grecians games at Accy since the Conference(2003) & yesterdays atmosphere was by far the best(well done Red Legion,they were excellent all game) Usually its 100 to 150 spread out on a terrace that holds 10 times that many & it’s impossible to get a good noise going.

I suppose Accrington knew we were not likely to bring more than 300 +,so I can understand why they did section off the terrace,which ironically was better noise wise for the Grecian followers.
Fair points Olds and i guess we all have different preferences when attending games. From a noise perspective and getting likeminded people together to sing and jump about then yes, i totally agree with your point how the set up yesterday made this a lot easier and better for everyone. I'm perhaps getting things a bit wrong as i wasn't there. If there was plenty of space to go and stand away from the main group if needed then i don't really see a problem with limiting the terrace but i've been to a few games where the home side vastly underestimate the numbers and we all end up sandwiched in which i hate tbh.

My point really would be that i'd find it bizarre AND annoying if say i went to Accrington and they had all the Exeter fans penned up in this little area so nobody could hardly move when immediately next to it was pretty much an entire stand of empty terrace. I'm not sure that's how it was so excuse me Olds.

Hey, i didn't even go and i'm moaning! :D

Just thinking of the welfare of fans that's all as i know not everyone wants to be squashed into a stand.