• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

8 out of 12....

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
one of the things I love about us at the moment is the way we can experience highs and lows with a group of players, that. in footballing terms, have been with us an age.

Having that continuity means that by now, we pretty much know what players can, and cannot do, and I think it's fantastic that out of the 12 players that featured yesterday, 8 of them played for us in the Blue Square.

Matt Taylor often talks about "this group of players" and I guess when you have worked with the same nucleus of lads for about 3 years or more you are inevitably going to be a tight knit group.

Hats off to them.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Top shout Lammie ... pretty sure all of the 8 were written off as not being good enough for the shirt in the conf ...

May well be the last season for some of them though ...

elginCity

May well be the last season for some of them though ...
They'll know that better than anyone.

Makes the recent battling performances, coupled with astute management, all the more commendable.

Exehausted

Yes, it does make you wonder what form the squad will take next season. Usually by now we have been told which players have signed for next season or beyond. Unless I've missed it, nothing has been said this time, perhaps the management are waiting until they know which Division we will be in next year, or perhaps we are going to say goodbye to some stalwarts.

AndyR

I'd imagine we will indeed be saying goodbye to some stalwarts and so far as knowing what Division we will be in, I'm wondering whether, in a rather perverse way, one or two players might find themselves retained if we are in Div 2 but not retained if we are in Div1?!

grecIAN Harris

Yes, it does make you wonder what form the squad will take next season. Usually by now we have been told which players have signed for next season or beyond. Unless I've missed it, nothing has been said this time, perhaps the management are waiting until they know which Division we will be in next year, or perhaps we are going to say goodbye to some stalwarts.
I think that goes without saying. We're in a precarious position still and it is fair to say that we are there because some of the players aren't good enough if we stay up whilst they will be good enough if we go down (after all, they were the ones who got us up). Also, some of our aged soldiers are coming to the end of their time; Edwards, Stewart, maybe Russell. I think next season will see a very different City.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
But it's not like there is no hope for the future:

Dunne
Duffy
Golbourne
Sercombe
Harley
Jones

All of the above have had a big part to play in our season, and may continue to form the core of the next 'group'.

For the record, I thought Duffy was outstanding yesterday. Improving all the time.

grecIAN Harris

For the record, I thought Duffy was outstanding yesterday. Improving all the time.
That's why he was a Welsh international pre his injury when he was at Pompey.

Junior Grecian

But it's not like there is no hope for the future:

Dunne
Duffy
Golbourne
Sercombe
Harley
Jones

All of the above have had a big part to play in our season, and may continue to form the core of the next 'group'.
Add to that the likes of Matt Taylor, Troy Archibald-Henville and perhaps Adam Stansfield and Joe Burnell we have the nucleus of a good squad

LammieLammieLammie

That's why he was a Welsh international pre his injury when he was at Pompey.
Exactly. I really rate him, you can hear his voice from practically anywhere on the pitch. Real team player.