• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

***** 23rd March **** Your neighbours need your support - Torquay United in peril

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is a key topic that needs to be talked through and contingency plans in place.

Personallly, bankruptcy and a Phoenix club is a better scenario than what we have now. It's more about ousting osborne and saving the satdium
I would happily come down if our game at Leyton Orient is postponed BUT I'm a bit alarmed that your post indicates there is still no joined up thinking or a plan in place. Your club could fold at any stage has nobody given any thought as to what happens afterwards

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Your Trust needs to open dialogue with the Council pronto. You need to establish the remaining lease that the Club has on the ground, and make sure that it is not renewed. It is one of Osborne's remaining bargaining chips, and could impede progress in TUST/phoenix club taking over the Plainmoor lease.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
There will almost certainly be a general election before the end of this year. This being the case, given the opportunity Kevin Foster and those seeking to take his seat will be falling over themselves to help save the football club.

Moreover, media attention, both local and national, is critical. Unfortunately, from what [little] I've seen the editor of the Torquay Weekly has fallen for Osborne's spin so getting them on side may be easier said than done. However, you should certainly be looking to get people like David Conn at The Guardian and talkSPORT on board – assuming Charlie Baker is still a regular on talkSPORT maybe this is something he could assist with.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
There will almost certainly be a general election before the end of this year. This being the case, given the opportunity Kevin Foster and those seeking to take his seat will be falling over themselves to help save the football club.

Moreover, media attention, both local and national, is critical. Unfortunately, from what [little] I've seen the editor of the Torquay Weekly has fallen for Osborne's spin so getting them on side may be easier said than done. However, you should certainly be looking to get people like David Conn at The Guardian and talkSPORT on board – assuming Charlie Baker is still a regular on talkSPORT maybe this is something he could assist with.
Charlie Baker has been on the MNFC podcast a couple of times and has never said anything with regards to the TUFC ownership as far as I can remember.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Charlie Baker has been on the MNFC podcast a couple of times and has never said anything with regards to the TUFC ownership as far as I can remember.
Reasonably sure it's soemthing he feels passionately about – see for example:

bimmerman

Why is this on our main city forum? Taunton also need our help.

We thank you for Watkins but to be fair we do have our own problems that need sorting before we focus on any other team.

Maybe ask Plymouth instead.
And what problems would they be? Being a solvent league 1 club?

I for one had no idea of what TUFC are going through as don't keep an eye on them really, so maybe it should be on our main forum to help enlighten our locale to a club in plight that need our help. Have some decorum please, we're better then that

jimmy

I know TUFC do not want to give up Plainmoor..and certainly not without a fight. But is there anything stopping a group of supporters right now, cutting loose and starting Torquay Reunited in a lowly district league?

It only takes a couple of hundred and a YouTube documentary to get things moving in the right direction!

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know TUFC do not want to give up Plainmoor..and certainly not without a fight. But is there anything stopping a group of supporters right now, cutting loose and starting Torquay Reunited in a lowly district league?

It only takes a couple of hundred and a YouTube documentary to get things moving in the right direction!
Surely they'd want to start as high up the pyramid as possible. To do that they'd need a ground.

jimmy

Surely they'd want to start as high up the pyramid as possible. To do that they'd need a ground.
That is true...and from reading this thread and the other, it seems walking away is exactly what that fat cat in charge wants.

I was just wondering if there was a way of sticking it to him by creating a phoenix club (not Peter Kay's).

YellowMayday

It's being discussed and TUST do have a contingency plan along those lines. Personally i believe now is the time to launch it and not wait any longer.