• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

2017-18 starting line up from signings to date

jimbo-gould

I'd like something like this. Obviously missing someone to play the right wingback role though. Also could swap Woodman or Croll for Sweeny, with the other two shifting along meaning Woodman/Croll is on the left of the three. Obviously if/when Watkins leaves, then I'd have Holmes in his spot. A bench of Hamon, Croll, Woodman, Holmes, James, McAlinden, Tilson.
_____________Pym____________
____Sweeny__Brown__JMT______
(?)_____Taylor____Ampadu___Moxey
____Wheeler___________Watkins____
_____________Ried_______________

Last edited:

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd like something like this. Obviously missing someone to play the right wingback role though. Also could swap Woodman or Croll for Sweeny, with the other two shifting along meaning Woodman/Croll is on the left of the three. Obviously if/when Watkins leaves, then I'd have Holmes in his spot. A bench of Hamon, Croll, Woodman, Holmes, James, McAlinden, Tilson.
(?)_____Taylor____Ampadu___Moxey
____Wheeler___________Watkins____
_____________Ried_______________
Ampadu has to go to school. I believe.

jimbo-gould

He'd have finished by now if he turned 16 this school year. Next year would be optional, like college or something

andrew p long

Ampadu has to go to school. I believe.
I think this summer he has turned from being a schoolboy who also plays some football into a trainee footballer who also goes to college. He's a 'scholar' which I think is modern day speak for what we knew as apprentice. He's done his GCSEs so can leave school?

Having said that I reckon he'll only be gradually and sparingly used for League Two football; there will be numerous international commitments at different age groups; including captaining his own age group for Wales. The reason he is staying at City is because his career development will take priority over the demands of next week's game..

Pobbop

I definitely feel Tis will want to play 3 at the back, particularly with Moxey kinda perfect for the Wing-back role. He'll definitely deliver good service in, and with Reid and Wheeler on the end that should mean goals, particularly with Holmes on the other side. I'm working without Ollie as I don't think he'll be here.

In the end we really lacked good delivery at times this season, despite the wing-play, Grant was one of the worst offenders in the PO final.

so:
Holmes_____Taylor____Ampadu___Moxey
____Wheeler___________Harley____
_____________Reid_______________

I really would prefer Harley playing further up the pitch where he can do damage, his wing-back stuff is not great. Mcalinden will hopefully play more, and I wouldn't mind Tillson instead of Ampadu.

Last edited:

iscalad

I think this summer he has turned from being a schoolboy who also plays some football into a trainee footballer who also goes to college. He's a 'scholar' which I think is modern day speak for what we knew as apprentice. He's done his GCSEs so can leave school?

Having said that I reckon he'll only be gradually and sparingly used for League Two football; there will be numerous international commitments at different age groups; including captaining his own age group for Wales. The reason he is staying at City is because his career development will take priority over the demands of next week's game..
Depends

School leaving age
Your school leaving age depends on where you live.

England
You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.

You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:

stay in full-time education, for example at a college
start an apprenticeship or traineeship
spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

Wales
You can leave school on the last Friday in June, as long as you’ll be 16 by the end of that school year’s summer holidays.

Wonder which he'll choose. :)

Andy Holloway

Depends

School leaving age
Your school leaving age depends on where you live.

England
You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.

spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

Wales
You can leave school on the last Friday in June, as long as you’ll be 16 by the end of that school year’s summer holidays.

Wonder which he'll choose. :)
I think the 'giveaway' is in the fact that he lives in Exeter which, the last time i looked, was in ENGLAND!

StroudGrecian

It isn't enforced, this just means you can't sign on until you're 18.

LOG

The way i understand it, which is probably wrong, is that his current schoolboy contract can only run until he turns 17 which is in September. Unless he signs a scholarship either with us or someone else then, put simply, he can't play professional football. I think you can sign a pro contract at 17 although it's not the norm.

Well-known Exeweb poster
So do we think that PT has learned a lesson by bringing in the experienced Olejnik, and will see Pym as number one? With limited games played over the past two seasons, did he improve enough that he'll be first choice? I'd like to think so, seriously.
I know things have moved on , but when it was a straight pym v hamon, didnt hamon come out on top?and take the starting spot?

Last edited: