• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

2017-18 starting line up from signings to date

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pym will be no1 I'm sure and he's got to be given the chance to prove himself over a full season. Personally I can't see us being able to tempt a better 'keeper with our budget and I'd rather we spent the money saved on Olejnik's wages elsewhere in the squad. Hamon is adequate backup also.
Didn't that happen 3 seasons ago when he shared the entire season with James Hamon? He played in about 65% of the matches. Both of them were just 18 years old at the time. We finished 10th that season.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn't that happen 3 seasons ago when he shared the entire season with James Hamon? He played in about 65% of the matches. Both of them were just 18 years old at the time. We finished 10th that season.
Well no it didn't happen because, as you pointed out, he shared the season with Hamon.

Pym is still a young 'keeper but has shown enough quality since Christmas to prove he's got what it takes to be no1 for a season.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I have absolutely no problem with a goalkeeping line-up of Pym and Hamon - both have already proved they are fine keepers, Pym in particular has come on in leaps and bounds having stagnated somewhat prior to Olejnik's arrival.

Terryhall

I don't remember the last time we had a keeper on double figures for clean sheets in the season. Pym achieved that last year so for my money has earned his starting spot.

I have absolutely no problem with a goalkeeping line-up of Pym and Hamon - both have already proved they are fine keepers, Pym in particular has come on in leaps and bounds having stagnated somewhat prior to Olejnik's arrival.
Hmm Pym has shown that he was growing into a fine keeper as the season progressed. Granted Hamon has not been seen in a City shirt for some 2 years, but I am not sure that even his biggest fan could call him a fine keeper when he was in the team.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm Pym has shown that he was growing into a fine keeper as the season progressed. Granted Hamon has not been seen in a City shirt for some 2 years, but I am not sure that even his biggest fan could call him a fine keeper when he was in the team.
Well I thought he had the makings of a fine keeper when he started to feature regularly in 14/15, and thought there was very little to choose between them. Now, obviously aside from a loan spell at a struggling club he hasn't had much pitch time in the last two seasons so it's difficult to judge his development.

ECFC89

Not to turn this into a keepers's thread, but while i agree Christy is the best option, while i was looking over highlights of last season on youtube, you consistnetly see/feel there is a mistake every few matches. I'm still in that Paul Jones mindset of '****' whenever the ball comes near him. Not because he's a bad shot stopper, but because i feel that mistake is just around the corner.

Red Bill

I wouldn't suggest Pym is the best keeper in the league but IMO he's certainly as good as 90% of the rest. I don't understand all the talk of mistakes, he's a league two keeper in a league two team, of course he'll make mistakes but no more than anyone else and he has youth on his side, he's still very young for a keeper and I'm sure he'll get better and better with experience, at which point he'll probably move up a level or two.

ECFC89

I wouldn't suggest Pym is the best keeper in the league but IMO he's certainly as good as 90% of the rest. I don't understand all the talk of mistakes, he's a league two keeper in a league two team, of course he'll make mistakes but no more than anyone else and he has youth on his side, he's still very young for a keeper and I'm sure he'll get better and better with experience, at which point he'll probably move up a level or two.
I do understand that. I just think its the most important position in the team, and i know this will sound short sighted of me, but I prefer a keeper who is developed, not one who keeps developing and is young, so its alright. The season starts in two months not two years. And yes of course that is budget depending, isn't everything.

Also he got injured three times last year. Not a fan of Hamon.

Last edited:

Red Bill

I do understand that. I just think its the most important position in the team, and i know this will sound short sighted of me, but I prefer a keeper who is developed, not one who keeps developing and is young, so its alright. The season starts in two months not two years. And yes of course that is budget depending, isn't everything.

Also he got injured three times last year. Not a fan of Hamon.
I understand what you're saying but my point was he's already as good as 90% of other league two keepers and doesn't make any more mistakes than anyone else, the difference being that unlike a lot of the older keepers, he'll probably get significantly better