• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

2016/17 - Your Top 5 Matches

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Games which I went to.

5: Barnet away
4: Cheltenham away
3: Mansfield home
2: Portsmouth away
1: Carlisle play offs home

Ashford Grecian

In season order

August - Oxford away EFL Trophy 2-4 - Under 100 Grecians in attendance but a chance to see some of the youngsters and first glimpse of the 15 year old wonder kid..
Sept - Colchester away 3-2 - OK awful atmosphere at one of the worst grounds in the league but a come from behind win..
Oct - Barnet away 4-1 - What a difference to last seasons woeful display at The Hive playing fantasy football at times!
Dec - Cheltenham away 3-1 - On a day where it didn't stop chucking it down on a quagmire of a pitch we road our luck in the first half and a real cameo 45 mins for maestro Oakley
April - Mansfield away 2-1 - Oh what a lovely win against that moaner Steve Evans as Mansfield tried to sit on a 1-0 lead for much of the game and Rueben's second to last kick of the game winning penalty on 97 minutes!! That kept us in the playoff hunt and was quite funny to be called "cheating bastards" by several home fans on the walk back to the car (rofl)

Last edited:

dontpassback

Watched us wallop Crewe 4 0 and left the game thinking that Crewe weren't a bad side,which just goes to show how narrow this league is.we played well and took our chances,Crewe played some nice stuff but didn't finish,I suppose that's what makes football so attractive !

Oldsmobile-88

The 1st half performance at Morecambe was the best I have seen this season.Shut up shop in the 2nd half which was unusual for the Grecians...The wins at Newport & Cheltenham were pleasing on difficult playing surfaces. .

Not much to write about at home..The win against a good Colchester team in decent form stands out..Wycombe was another that stands out because it was a win & a exciting match.A couple of words we seldom say against that opposition..

sign of the chimes

It was your performance at ours which made me think you had the mettle to get promoted this season. Whilst I wasn't surprised that the run you were on when it happened came to an end, I thought you had an organisation allied to some really good players that would see you over the line.

denzel

Colchester away
Cheltenham away
Yeovil home
Mansfield away
Carlisle home

Honorary mention for Brentford in the league cup

IndoMike

Watched us wallop Crewe 4 0 and left the game thinking that Crewe weren't a bad side,which just goes to show how narrow this league is.we played well and took our chances,Crewe played some nice stuff but didn't finish,I suppose that's what makes football so attractive !
That was the game after Wycombe. Maybe because Wycombe was a night match, quite exciting in the 2nd half and the atmosphere was really good I thought that the Crewe match was a bit flat. It sounds strange to say that after a 4-0 win but I remember that the crowd was not so big as it was against Wycombe and less noisy. You're right that Crewe were no pushover and we only took over in the 2nd half. That was the match where Pym did his double save, I believe.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
That was the game after Wycombe. Maybe because Wycombe was a night match, quite exciting in the 2nd half and the atmosphere was really good I thought that the Crewe match was a bit flat. It sounds strange to say that after a 4-0 win but I remember that the crowd was not so big as it was against Wycombe and less noisy. You're right that Crewe were no pushover and we only took over in the 2nd half. That was the match where Pym did his double save, I believe.
Correct. Would have been a very different game if they'd scored.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
For me the best 5 matches that I went to were

Doncaster away
Cheltenham away
Crewe home
Accrington away
Pompey away.

Not just good wins, but good days out as well.

Almost tempted to have included Carlisle away in November when we lost 3-2, but it could and should have been a different result.

IndoMike

For me the best 5 matches that I went to were

Doncaster away
Cheltenham away
Crewe home
Accrington away
Pompey away.

Not just good wins, but good days out as well.

Almost tempted to have included Carlisle away in November when we lost 3-2, but it could and should have been a different result.
Not Carlisle home, Hants?