• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

13 goals in the last 16 league games !

We need to trim our quota of forwards down and bring in a proven 20 goal a season striker who plays regularly and isn't part of tisdales rotation policy with the forwards.
I'd give Norwood a chance to stake a claim for the 2nd striking position but the likes of Stewart, Watson, Maccallister should be moved on with Logan given until Jan to prove he can still do a job for us.

I think if Noble is fit for next season we'll see an inprovement in our play with maybe only a pair of wingers and a defender to bolster what we already got.
Agreed Cider Boy, I would like to see Noone back next season but suspect Argiggle will be hanging onto him. We do have to many strikers though, Stewart can go, along with MacCallister, but I would persist with Watson and Logan until the position is clearer with Stanno. Corr I like and just want to see him fit, then of course there si Fleetwood, I like him but he hasnt really done it this year and if Charlton go up or not I cant see him being there next year so do we try and sign him.

20-goal a season strikers aren't that easy to find, though.

There are currently 5 in League One;

Lambert (Southampton) 29
Barnard (Southampton) 24
Beckford (Leeds United) 24
Holt (Norwich) 24
Paynter (Swindon) 23

I'd have loved us to sign Grant Holt but we just can't compete with teams like Norwich.
Paynter is out of contract in the summer and turned down a deal in January, IMHO he is crap and got lucky when they signed Austin from Dorchester (i think) as they make a great pairing) He will walk in the hope of signing for a bigger club as he is a bit big time on the occasions I have met him

So we can't blame any of the strikers but we need a 20 goal a season striker? Glad we've got that sorted then.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Defensively we are sound, attacking wise we are toothless.

All this cr@p about 20-goal-a-seaons strikers, what is the point when we don't create any chances. Unless we go and get one who can create his own chances (Which I imagine would be far too expensive for us).

And also there are a few out there who we could/should have went for, Jackson when he was at Rushden (although I know there were rumours that we did try), Morrison should have been targeted as he was always decent, maybe Constable as well.

So they are out there but we don't go for them, and there isn't any point in goign for them unless we get enough creativity to supply them.

The Firm

Noble looks awesome so hopefully he will set league 1 alight next season..

We really need a right winger though.

Woodsy

Defensively we are sound, attacking wise we are toothless.

All this cr@p about 20-goal-a-seaons strikers, what is the point when we don't create any chances. QUOTE]

But in most games there is normally one clear cut chance, currently however I wouldn't back any money on any of the strikers to take that chance. That is where a good striker can make the difference.

Woodsy

It's not so much a winger we need, but someone who can cross. Tully, Friend and Golbourne send in plenty of crosses, but most of them are rubbish.

Cider Boy

Hopefully Noble will add a bit of creativity in the middle of the park and increase our attacking options.
Maybe we should be looking at reserve players from championship clubs as i'm sure they're are some proven goalscorers around we could have on a season long loan or pick up fairly cheaply. Didn't Huddersfield get Rhodes from Ipswich for a decent price?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
******** and Heathy to battle it out.

Oops, wrong thread.

Cider Boy

Forest Greens number 7 last night David Accam had a decent game and i'd like City to have a closer look at him over the summer. definatley good enough to make the step up to league football.