Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 302

Thread: Fans Forum. Thursday 15th February "Any other business"

  1. #11

    Re: Fans Forum. Thursday 15th February "Any other business"

    Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    Ballzy. I'm confused. There are 15 Trust Board members or four (and should be 5) ?
    There are 15 places, but only 14 members currently, unless the TB has co-opted another to fill the vacancy, since the AGM. And just to add to your confusion, the TB elects 4 of their number to also serve on the Club Board as well ( with one of these being the TB Chair).

    Trust Board members are elected for a three year term, so only a third are elected at each AGM.
    Last edited by Colesman Ballz; 05 February 2018 at 00:42.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pining for a Devon country pub.
    Posts
    8,803

    Re: Fans Forum. Thursday 15th February "Any other business"

    Quote Originally Posted by Colesman Ballz View Post
    There are 15 places, but only 14 members currently, unless the TB has co-opted another to fill the vacancy, since the AGM. And just to add to your confusion, the TB elects 4 of their number to also serve on the Club Board as well ( with one of these being the TB Chair).
    Thanks, CB. I should know this already. I need someone younger to represent me on EW

  3. #13

    Re: Fans Forum. Thursday 15th February "Any other business"

    Quote Originally Posted by iscalad View Post
    Trouble is no one else can usually be bothered. Many years have gone without having to hold an election.
    It is a subject that I have been thinking about lately.
    While it is a fact that the TB is not a fair reflection of modern society, my concerns are more about longevity.
    While we have some great minds and a wealth of experience on the T.B, we won't be here forever (I'm one of the younger ones and I'm hurtling rapidly towards middle age)
    If we don't get some of the younger fans on board then the Trust could just fade away with no one to represent the majority shareholder. The club could then be left vulnerable and anyone could stroll in and scoop it up.
    I have some ideas on this but I have not presented anything to my colleagues yet so won't post them on here.

  4. #14
    Pete Martin (CTID)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    9,820

    Re: Fans Forum. Thursday 15th February "Any other business"

    Folks have written about the dearth of young and/or female Trust Board members.

    The current situation is very much a reflection of the make-up of those prepared to put themselves forward for election and is not as a result of any exclusion policy or even exclusion motive. In fact, the very opposite is true. I think I speak for all of my co-Trust Board members that we would love to see a more diverse selection of humanity standing for election. Even positive discrimination is unlikely to work as, if people from these groups don't put themselves forward it can't be done in any event.

    Those who go back a while will recall the days in the Conference when our Trust and Club Chairman was a woman, Denise Watts. We have had other women on the Trust Board (BoS) over the years, including, for example, Bernadette Coates and Fran Jenkin. In recent times we had supporter Linden Bray on the TB who is involved with the Red Legion and was under 21 when he joined us. After a year he resigned, having had the opportunity to go travelling around the world in his gap year - and who can blame him for that! It's also worth mentioning that we also have two female officers who attend Trust Board meetings, Jenny Hogg (our Web and Social Media Officer) and Alice Cooke (Press and Media Manager).

    The bottom line is that, despite all the remarks that get bandied around by a few, including Ant Moxey and his 'let's discuss the biscuit choice for our next meeting' quip, if you want to engage properly it is hard work, more particularly so for those who also have full time jobs. For women with full time jobs and a family (and I am not being sexist here) it has to be even harder.

    The only way forward is to keep pushing and encouraging a more diverse selection of candidates to put themselves forward at each TB election in the hope that the make-up of the TB will change progressively.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pining for a Devon country pub.
    Posts
    8,803

    Re: Fans Forum. Thursday 15th February "Any other business"

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin (CTID) View Post
    Folks have written about the dearth of young and/or female Trust Board members.

    The current situation is very much a reflection of the make-up of those prepared to put themselves forward for election and is not as a result of any exclusion policy or even exclusion motive. In fact, the very opposite is true. I think I speak for all of my co-Trust Board members that we would love to see a more diverse selection of humanity standing for election. Even positive discrimination is unlikely to work as, if people from these groups don't put themselves forward it can't be done in any event.

    Those who go back a while will recall the days in the Conference when our Trust and Club Chairman was a woman, Denise Watts. We have had other women on the Trust Board (BoS) over the years, including, for example, Bernadette Coates and Fran Jenkin. In recent times we had supporter Linden Bray on the TB who is involved with the Red Legion and was under 21 when he joined us. After a year he resigned, having had the opportunity to go travelling around the world in his gap year - and who can blame him for that! It's also worth mentioning that we also have two female officers who attend Trust Board meetings, Jenny Hogg (our Web and Social Media Officer) and Alice Cooke (Press and Media Manager).

    The bottom line is that, despite all the remarks that get bandied around by a few, including Ant Moxey and his 'let's discuss the biscuit choice for our next meeting' quip, if you want to engage properly it is hard work, more particularly so for those who also have full time jobs. For women with full time jobs and a family (and I am not being sexist here) it has to be even harder.

    The only way forward is to keep pushing and encouraging a more diverse selection of candidates to put themselves forward at each TB election in the hope that the make-up of the TB will change progressively.
    Yes, I know a lot of work is done as I stated on the previous page and understand the difficulties. Your final sentence seems to indicate the way forward.

  6. #16
    Antony Moxey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Exmuff
    Posts
    38,933

    Re: Fans Forum. Thursday 15th February "Any other business"

    Why can't a white man represent the views of women or ethnic minorities? Also, it's just a football club, why the need to differentiate between men and women, white and non-white etc. Surely all are equally welcome - why the need for anything different?

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Clyst St Mary
    Posts
    11

    Re: Fans Forum. Thursday 15th February "Any other business"

    Just to correct a couple of misconceptions on this thread. There are currently 11 Trustees, the five you see on the poster are the Chairman and the four group leads. The groups are made up of Trustees, Officers and Trust Members.

    It was decided that the Trust Board would operate with 12 Trustees this year, but as mentioned Sean Devine left the Board during the election.

    Mark Cordell who missed out in the election this year has been brought on to the Trust Board as a non-voting executive with the role of promoting Trust membership.

    There is quite a broad range of skills and interests within the Trust Board and that usually dictates which roles Trustees take on. Most, if not all, Trustees are involved in several working groups.

    Of course, Doug and Pete are quite correct, we need to engage and inform the membership, because as previous posts suggest, there are misconceptions about the Trust and its work.

    The coming Forum should be seen as an ideal opportunity for anyone who has an interest in the future of ECFC and Trust ownership to ask questions and dispel these misconceptions. So, please come along, if you can’t make it, submit your questions. I understand the event will be either live streamed on Facebook or recorded and so you will be able to follow proceedings.

    Open to everyone, not just Trust members and it would be great to see a cross section of the Clubs supporters in attendance.

  8. #18
    John William's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Desolation Row
    Posts
    5,360

    Re: Fans Forum. Thursday 15th February "Any other business"

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Why can't a white man represent the views of women or ethnic minorities? Also, it's just a football club, why the need to differentiate between men and women, white and non-white etc. Surely all are equally welcome - why the need for anything different?
    In principle, yes.

    But in most (if not all) organisations it's not a bad thing to have a range of opinions, experiences, backgrounds, etc. as it tends to lead to better decision making as a wider range of information informs those decisions and avoids "groupthink".

  9. #19
    Alistair20000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Trying on Lionelís merkin
    Posts
    21,581

    Re: Fans Forum. Thursday 15th February "Any other business"

    I fear younger people may have a lot else in their lives that will seem more interesting and exciting than serving as a Trustee.

    It did not work out well with Bondy IIRC.

  10. #20
    Antony Moxey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Exmuff
    Posts
    38,933

    Re: Fans Forum. Thursday 15th February "Any other business"

    Quote Originally Posted by John William View Post
    In principle, yes.

    But in most (if not all) organisations it's not a bad thing to have a range of opinions, experiences, backgrounds, etc. as it tends to lead to better decision making as a wider range of information informs those decisions and avoids "groupthink".
    Yes, I understand that, but in the end we're just a football club - what better decision making did you envisage with a broader range of ideals? Different biscuits at Trust meetings, maybe Ceylon tea as well as Assam? Of course that trivialising matters somewhat, but I'm being serious, what 'better decisions' - we stand, we sit, we have a drink/snack/whatever, we watch the game, we go home. Whether we're black, white, male or female, what decisions need making?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •