• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will Aimson joins on a permanent contract

Mid Devon Grecian

I do wonder what the people that booed Aimson are thinking now. Clearly he lost his form and his confidence, and a few times was visibly seen to react to comments from the crowd. But what message were the boo-ers trying to convey? He never gave less than 100%, he always put his body on the line, but he did make some silly mistakes. Given his recent brilliant displays, some people must be feeling very silly right now.
I was equal parts embarrassed/angry when elements in the crowd were booing Aimson - he’s a very good player who suffered a temporary loss of form. There’s nothing to be gained from haranguing the bloke.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Confirmation bias plays its part.

Mistakes are noticed more if they are being looked for.
Paul Jones's kicking was wayward but he would have needed a faultless game at one point because a single kick out for a throw-in would be enough to confirm the expectation. Even when he got his kicks right there were ironic cheers.

I remember Craig Woodman being criticised even after good games for a while until his rep got turned around.

iscalad

Confirmation bias plays its part.

Mistakes are noticed more if they are being looked for.
Paul Jones's kicking was wayward but he would have needed a faultless game at one point because a single kick out for a throw-in would be enough to confirm the expectation. Even when he got his kicks right there were ironic cheers.

I remember Craig Woodman being criticised even after good games for a while until his rep got turned around.
Same with Tully. Seems the fans need someone to blame when we lose every season.

Antony Moxey

I feel we as fans are often far too quick to pass judgement on players - Alli is a great example. However, booing one of your own players is just totally counter productive - the only exception to that rule was Andy Woodman who deserved every pelter he got :love:
So did Danny Coles.

Antony Moxey

I was always of the understanding that Jones was under instruction to kick towards the touchline, the logic being if it went out for a throw in that was much easier to defend than the opposition centre half winning the ball in the middle of the park.

Rosencrantz

A lot is down to fans favourites and also perception. When Will was having his "dip", apart from the whole team struggling at that point, Sweenz and Alex were also struggling. Will was often trying to cover their mistakes as well, but as a unit they were struggling under the pressure as they knew if we were to concede, then we were likely to lose given our much more serious problems at the other end of the pitch.

But Will did get singled out more. You had the captain issue, of which a lot more was made of then it needed to be, all the body language criticism which is really secondary and more perception than anything that really matters and is just his natural demeanour. Will has been our top performing defender over the season, Zac has run him close over the second half. Even when out of the side, he has come back in and performed. He shown his versatility as well by playing centre of a three and on the right of a three and also RB at times, to good effect on Saturday.

I do feel that, much like Woody, he has taken a long time to win over some fans and probably still has a bit to go with a few. He is though a very key part of our defence at the moment.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
So did Danny Coles.
So did Lloyd James

A lot is down to fans favourites and also perception. When Will was having his "dip", apart from the whole team struggling at that point, Sweenz and Alex were also struggling. Will was often trying to cover their mistakes as well, but as a unit they were struggling under the pressure as they knew if we were to concede, then we were likely to lose given our much more serious problems at the other end of the pitch.

But Will did get singled out more. You had the captain issue, of which a lot more was made of then it needed to be, all the body language criticism which is really secondary and more perception than anything that really matters and is just his natural demeanour. Will has been our top performing defender over the season, Zac has run him close over the second half. Even when out of the side, he has come back in and performed. He shown his versatility as well by playing centre of a three and on the right of a three and also RB at times, to good effect on Saturday.

I do feel that, much like Woody, he has taken a long time to win over some fans and probably still has a bit to go with a few. He is though a very key part of our defence at the moment.
One of the problems is that the boo boys are always quick to have a go at an outsider/signing playing for us, rather than 'one of our own '.
We can remember Hartridge, Jay, Cox and Seymour struggling quite badly at times, especially but not exclusively, in their early career and, thank goodness the boo boys didn't get on their backs. The key is be patient and give players a fair amount of time to prove themselves and don't destroy their confidence; have trust in the management team.
It wasn't long ago some in here were complaining about Alli and now look how that appears to be turning out.

Grecian Max

I do wonder what the people that booed Aimson are thinking now. Clearly he lost his form and his confidence, and a few times was visibly seen to react to comments from the crowd. But what message were the boo-ers trying to convey? He never gave less than 100%, he always put his body on the line, but he did make some silly mistakes. Given his recent brilliant displays, some people must be feeling very silly right now.
I agree

He wasn't a great captain but he's a very solid League One CB and his final third of the season he's been superb - really started to live up to his billing upon signing

Has his faults, never deserved boos though

denzel

Why he was in the EFL team of the week.