• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nick Jordan

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
REALITY - In 2005, exceeding the speed limit was a causal factor in 5% of accidents and 12% of fatal ones.
So therefore speeding isn't a casual factor in 95% of accidents and 88% of fatal ones - why aren't the government ramming this down our throats and getting the rozzers to come down heavily on the real causes of accidents instead of trotting out the tired, and inaccurate, old mantra of 'speed kills' every five seconds?

Antony Moxey

I can't see how you can argue the fact that speed reduces the reaction times of yourself, other road users and pedestrians.
I wasn't, ******** said 100% of accidents might have been reduced if speed was lower. Well how about if everyone drove 0.1mph slower, would that reduce all accidents? It all depends how much slower doesn't it.

Of course, you could say accidents could be reduced if you sped up. Perhaps you'd be past the pedestrian that would have walked out straight in front of you without looking if you'd been there ten minutes ago, but thanks to you hooning down the road at 200mph you were now sat at home drinking a refreshing cup of tea by the time he stepped out.. ^o)

angelic upstart

So therefore speeding isn't a casual factor in 95% of accidents and 88% of fatal ones - why aren't the government ramming this down our throats and getting the rozzers to come down heavily on the real causes of accidents instead of trotting out the tired, and inaccurate, old mantra of 'speed kills' every five seconds?
So on your rationale from above, if every drink driver doesn't kill someone (which I am guessing they don't) you would do what?

A drink driver may argue the same way as someone who speeds and thinks it's okay and I need some clarification. I am a non driver you see:)

Spoonz Red E

You should know full well that 'speed kills' isn't the only mantra.

Safety should be across the board and speed is obviously important. 88% does not make the 12% go away. To point out that 12% of deaths are caused by speeding does not ignore the importance of those other factors.

Personally, I don't think using an accelerator on a hunk of heavy metal in public areas is a good way of 'sticking it to the man' - I've met too many who do.

Spoonz Red E

Oh I'm not so sure about that!! I love a bit of Keats or Byron.

Thanks
Chris

This post is genuine.

Yeah but for all I know that could be a euphemism.

This post is generic ;)

Antony Moxey

So on your rationale from above, if every drink driver doesn't kill someone (which I am guessing they don't) you would do what?
Ban them still.

Antony Moxey

88% does not make the 12% go away. To point out that 12% of deaths are caused by speeding does not ignore the importance of those other factors.
Very true on both counts, but if you can get rid of that 88% then that'd be a good thing right?

Spoonz Red E

Very true on both counts, but if you can get rid of that 88% then that'd be a good thing right?
No quibble there ...

Antony Moxey

Indeed. But I was trying to make a serious point all the same. Of course inappropriate speeding can be dangerous and as you indicate it is a contributory factor in a percentage of accidents, but by the same token an awful lot of other things are too, as shown by your stats. Yet the government seemingly aren't interested in this and look as though they're putting all of their eggs in the 'speek kills' basket.

Hence replacing rozzers with cameras that can only determine whether a speed limit has been broken, and not dangerous overtaking, driving too slow (yes, really!), poor lane discipline, cutting people up, pulling out and forcing someone to brake, changing lanes or turning off without indicating, changing lane whether there's someone already there or not make them take avoiding action etc etc.

Spoonz Red E

But the government's eggs aren't all in one basket. Apart from 'speed kills' there are also 'don't drink and drive campaigns', 'think bike', 'heed weather warnings', 'keep your distance' 'check your tyre pressure', 'use your seatbelt' 'pull over when tired' campaigns.

The 'government' also insists on a knowledge of the highway code and a good standard of both theory and practice in order to obtain a licence.

It also demands that car manufacturers conform to ever more stringent safety standards.

And maintains a sytem of punishment which can revoke your ability to drive when guilty of infringement.

Pretty big basket I think.