• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’ll vote in when I sense the supporters start being entertained which surely must be the name of the game.I know if I still lived in Exeter I would have jacked in my season tickets by now in sheer desperation.
And whatever anyone else says surely to goodness we can finally find a couple of players next season who can actually recognise what a goal looks like and manage to kick the round plastic thing through it . You know Mr C , two goalposts twenty four feet apart joined by one horizontal goalpost. Folk might actually start really enjoying games again rather than chewing their nails and wondering if we’ll scrape through each match, which wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Alistair20000

174 - 197
23 votes difference.
All it needs is ...
And we now just 11 need to switch from Out to In for SGC to be back in majority favour.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Till then the jury's still out.............

Boyo

Looking at the points total Tisdale achieved in 09/10, when we avoided relegation on the last day of the season with 51 points, proves that the quality in League One this season is poor.

Cheltenham are third bottom on 38 points with 7 games left, Port Vale currently occupy the final relegation place and have 39 points with 6 left, whilst Burton have 40 with 5 left. There's no way any of those three are getting anywhere near 51 points but one of them will stay up.
The points tally needed for safety, has no bearing as to the overall quality of the league. I could argue for example that the top 10 teams in 09/10 were unbelievably good and hence denied the bottom teams any points, proving that the league in 09/10 was really strong. I'd be talking rubbish of course.

I think our current team would beat the Tisdale team from 09/10.

Fareham Grecian

Outside the railway station, which also has a very nice pub.
Two very nice pubs actually - one at either end of the building

Average Joe

With respect, then - you can't comment on football matches

May as well just follow on your chosen app

No, just because I'm more worried about getting the job done over playing attractive football. We are new to league one and I'd rather become an established league one team playing gritty football for now and build attractive football over a couple of seasons.

Attractive football is a luxury. Playing from the back takes good defenders who can tackle and pass, good wingers who can also defend as a full back. These players cost money and are often in demand as most fans want attractive football.

It's certainly something I hope we build on, but right now I just want the job done. Wouldn't go a miss now though seems we may not have much to play for and safety is a given

Grecian Max

No, just because I'm more worried about getting the job done over playing attractive football. We are new to league one and I'd rather become an established league one team playing gritty football for now and build attractive football over a couple of seasons.

Attractive football is a luxury. Playing from the back takes good defenders who can tackle and pass, good wingers who can also defend as a full back. These players cost money and are often in demand as most fans want attractive football.

It's certainly something I hope we build on, but right now I just want the job done. Wouldn't go a miss now though seems we may not have much to play for and safety is a given
There’s an irony here in that Caldwell is trying to play “attractive” football, or a version of it

It’s not what I would describe as “gritty”, in fact that’s something I would prefer!

Pete Martin (CTID)

I’ll vote in when I sense the supporters start being entertained which surely must be the name of the game.I know if I still lived in Exeter I would have jacked in my season tickets by now in sheer desperation.
And whatever anyone else says surely to goodness we can finally find a couple of players next season who can actually recognise what a goal looks like and manage to kick the round plastic thing through it . You know Mr C , two goalposts twenty four feet apart joined by one horizontal goalpost. Folk might actually start really enjoying games again rather than chewing their nails and wondering if we’ll scrape through each match, which wouldn’t be a bad thing.
It is remarkable that the past two seasons, with things seemingly as bad as you describe, have generated average attendances higher than the previous highest in the 1964-1965 season, almost 60 years ago.

Banksy

It is remarkable that the past two seasons, with things seemingly as bad as you describe, have generated average attendances higher than the previous highest in the 1964-1965 season, almost 60 years ago.
Well , as long as you’re enjoying it that’s o.k then.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I think yesterday showed exactly what Caldwell is looking for in terms of our playing style, (first half) and also what he doesn't want (2nd half).

In the first half we were in total control of the game due to our possession football and in my opinion played some excellent football restricting Cheltenham to nothing of note, which is hard to do against a team so direct. Obviously the final piece is still lacking and we went in at 0-0 so some will be disappointed in this and probably still don't like this style which although I disagree with can understand. You could argue that there was still not enough shots on goal or goalmouth action and this is where we need to still improve.

The 2nd half we did not have as much control (partly due to Cheltenham's changes) and the game became far more even and allowed them a foothold back into the game. There was more goal mouth action at either end and more scrambles within both boxes but the game was a far more 50/50 game. However; this half could be considered more exciting and more 'action' so to speak so many would prefer that. Obviously we scored two goals and won the game which is the most important thing as well.

However; I'm sure GC preferred the first half in terms of how we played and it is this style that he wants to see more consistently with the most important factor adding the goals to this good play. At 1-1 we were fortunate that Vils somehow made a great double save from the corner to deny Cheltenham regaining the lead and we may have struggled to come back from that. GC will argue that all the set-pieces that Cheltenham were getting 2nd half was due to the fact that we weren't possessing the ball enough and hence lost some control of the game etc.

On New Year's Day at 5pm I was worried as we slipped into the relegation zone after losing 3-1 at Reading. To have amassed 28 points from the next 17 games is an excellent return at 1.65 PPG. We have the makings of a good side here and a real identity, and although we definitely need to add more firepower to it, I am excited about what we are trying to build. Fair play to all involved!