• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tom Carroll

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m not sure comparing Carroll to Harley is a like for like thing.
For the record Harley is one of my favourite City players ever and gave me some of my best memories,
e.g. goals against Huddersfield and Leeds at SJP in particular and an away rocket winner at Bournemouth.
But of Carroll’s 228 league appearances 94 have been in the Premier League, 82 in the Championship, only 52 in League One and none below that level.
Harley played 18 matches in the Championship, 130 in League One and the rest either League Two or non-league.
I fundamentally am at odds with this - how dare you forget his goal away at Argyle - though that was lucky of course and THAT goal away at Torquay in the play off semi. ;);)

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would people be disappointed if his contract wasn't extended? Yes he's a tidy player but he seems to always want to play it safe and always looks for the extra pass instead of shooting. Never see him mentioned on the matchday threads as a standout player and I've personally been a bit disappointed he's not been at the level MacDonald was for us last season.
Depends a bit for me what kind of contract he's on. If it's a premium contract like people seem to imagine, absolutely not. If it's a 'chance to prove yourself' contract for a player no one wanted to touch, I think he's been decent enough. His big problem is he's surrounded with other players who want to drop deep and run the game. Too many conductors, not enough orchestra.

Bridgy 81

I fundamentally am at odds with this - how dare you forget his goal away at Argyle - though that was lucky of course and THAT goal away at Torquay in the play off semi. ;);)
I only included the ones I was there in person to see.
Can’t beat that first-hand experience whenever possible 🙂

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
My main peeve about Harley was his tendency to "disappear" for periods in games, especially away.

Otherwise I'd take him over Carroll any time. Carroll is a luxury we can't afford. Doesn't start many attacks or protect the defence, just meanders around. But he seems to be an automatic choice regardless of form or opposition.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ponces around spending his time trying not to get tackled. Bit of a poor man’s Ryan Harley.
Do we not want our players to try not getting tackled? Is that somehow too effete for us?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I only included the ones I was there in person to see.
Can’t beat that first-hand experience whenever possible 🙂
Tiz true and I can even claim to have seen one of Ryan's games in the Chmpionship when I happened to be in Swansea for the day

Bat Fastard

Although he’s played at higher levels, Carroll has never really settled anywhere…get the impression he looks technically adept and tidy on the ball for a while before flattering to deceive and being moved on. Decent player but pretty forgettable…quite unlike Srh, who produced moments of brilliance on a semi regular basis

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Although he’s played at higher levels, Carroll has never really settled anywhere…get the impression he looks technically adept and tidy on the ball for a while before flattering to deceive and being moved on. Decent player but pretty forgettable…quite unlike Srh, who produced moments of brilliance on a semi regular basis
Five seasons at Swansea seems quite settled to me

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I like it when he points to a player to tell them where to stand so he can then pass to the player in that exact spot.

I'd love a run of games without him to see if we played any different.

JGrecian23

I couldn't give a toss if he wasn't here next year. If he leaves we can get another robot to stand there passing it 3 yards sideways and waste corners.