• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tom Carroll

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are modern day midfield roles the most misunderstood by football fans? Comparisons with Harley are like comparing John Terry with Ashley Cole.
Can you expand on this? Think Harley was used in a similar way to Carroll towards the end of his time with us, playing much deeper, getting lots of touches on the ball and dictating the pace. Harley had a bit more in his locker in terms of the final third... More like Reece Cole in that respect. What am I not seeing?

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's true that Harley was used in a deeper role in his later days, and at the time received a lot of vehement criticism on here and I heard him getting verbally abused at Yeovil when he definitely wasn't the principal problem why we struggled that day (we lost 3-1). Which kind of proves my point, fans expect deeper lying midfielders to be creative when they don't often have the opportunties to do that.

For me, Carroll always plays as if he thinks he's better than he is, and as if he wishes other players were better than they are.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me, Carroll always plays as if... he wishes other players were better than they are.
Don't we all! ;)

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me, Carroll always plays as if he thinks he's better than he is, and as if he wishes other players were better than they are.
Isn't that simply demanding more from those around you? I don't really see a problem with that.

JGrecian23

Not a big fan of Carrol but I thought he deserved a special mention for that beautiful outside of the left foot pass down the channel which should have lead to more but Aitchison (I think) couldn't get his head up.

It was great vision and executed perfectly. Be nice to see some more of that as opposed to 5 yard sideways passes.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not a big fan of Carrol but I thought he deserved a special mention for that beautiful outside of the left foot pass down the channel which should have lead to more but Aitchison (I think) couldn't get his head up.

It was great vision and executed perfectly. Be nice to see some more of that as opposed to 5 yard sideways passes.
Absolute worldie of a pass. More of the same please Carroll.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Absolute worldie of a pass. More of the same please Carroll.
I said on the matchday thread that I thought the second half was as well as I've seen him play for us. I may be in the minority on this but personally I really hope he signs up for another year.

Mid Devon Grecian

I said on the matchday thread that I thought the second half was as well as I've seen him play for us. I may be in the minority on this but personally I really hope he signs up for another year.
Like the look of Woods as well. If we could do a deal for him or get him on a season long loan next year and he can get fit pre-season then he and Carroll would be a promising pairing IMO. Not sure where we’d fit Cole in, maybe a 4 3 2 1 set up with Woods hanging back to cover defensively?

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Like the look of Woods as well. If we could do a deal for him or get him on a season long loan next year and he can get fit pre-season then he and Carroll would be a promising pairing IMO. Not sure where we’d fit Cole in, maybe a 4 3 2 1 set up with Woods hanging back to cover defensively?
I'd go along with that. Three in the centre of midfield, (Carroll, Woods Cole) and three in front of them. Gary's wingless wonders. Good overlapping full backs are all you need...