• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Worst Ever Performance

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
That Bristol City game is a good shout. Another abysmal away day. Pretty sure it was two red cards during play then Another after the final whistle.

I also saw us lose 5-0 at Millmoor sometime in the 90s and the worst part is that it wasn't the least bit surprising.

EDIT - it seems it was actually January 2000. Less than two months before the Bristol City match. What on Earth was I thinking?

Last edited:

grecianstew

[/QUOTE]
That was the area finals and we ended up down to eight men iirc, I can't remember whether it was two sent off and somebody (Inglethorpe or Tis) carried off or whether it was three sent off.
When we were down to 9 didn’t someone (Walker??) commit a horrible bad tempered foul and walk off assuming he was about to be sent off. Only later found out the ref hadn’t included it in his report

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
When we were down to 9 didn’t someone (Walker??) commit a horrible bad tempered foul and walk off assuming he was about to be sent off. Only later found out the ref hadn’t included it in his report
[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't have been Justin Walker, before his time. It was Inglethorpe stretchered off, Flacky and Gary Alexander sent off and Kofi Nyamah sent off after the final whistle for sarcastically applauding the ref to his face. He possibly might have said a thing or two as well. Scott Murray was unplayable that night. Tore us new one, as they say.

gilbertshoot

Wasn't actually there (no-one was, not even the team) but watching the Wembley play- off final against Northampton was one of the lowest. After all of the elation of the semi and we utterly capitulated. If I didn't know better I'd have had the team tested for doping. And the fact it was on national telly as well was truly awful 😖

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I

I think you are right, it was 1999/2000 we actually lost that match at Ashton gate 4-0, and as it was the area final it was 2 legged. But by the time the 2nd leg was played the match was all over! we duely drew at SJP so the aggregate score was 5-1
First leg details

Second leg details

Martin Weiler

The stadium is no more...It had a very short life of just a few years, must be the shortest tenure of a purpose built stadium in the UK. The Grecians only other visit there was a 1-0 defeat.

The game you mentioned was in doubt due to financial issues at Northwich Victoria, no programme issued for the game. I managed to get hold of a A4 team sheet that was handed out in the rather swish bar attached to the ground pre match.

Random stadium fact…..the large covered terrace that ran along the side of the Northwich Victoria ground (the new one that was quickly demolished) is still doing sterling service. It’s now behind the goal at FC United of Manchester’s Broadhurst Park Stadium. So I’ve stood on it twice at two completely different grounds!

No doubt there are a few fans who have done the same on our new away end and at its previous home at The Hive. Originally erected by Wealdstone and taken over by Barnet.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
That Bristol City game is a good shout. Another abysmal away day. Pretty sure it was two red cards during play then Another after the final whistle.

I also saw us lose 5-0 at Millmoor sometime in the 90s and the worst part is that it wasn't the least bit surprising.

EDIT - it seems it was actually January 2000. Less than two months before the Bristol City match. What on Earth was I thinking?
Yes, the Rotherham 5-0 defeat was Noel Blake's managerial debut, IIRC. The Bristol City flare up probably a sign of things to come under his stewardship, where the referee might as well have kept his yellow card in his hand ready to show to our players.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It is really hard to say, worst ever performance, I can only judge by games I saw or attended.

I would say a 2-5 home defeat to Kidderminster in 2002/03 season would rank as one of the worst games I Have ever been too

Honourable mentions

Chesterfield 6-1 at SJP
Curzon Ashton away
Canvey Island at home in the conference 0-2

Last edited:

paperclip

Just in case it hasn't already been mentioned, I will nominate the 4-1 defeat away at Wigan on Boxing Day in the early 90s. Chucked it down with rain for most of the day, we were truly abysmal and the only saving grace was that I was sat in the grandstand and thus didn't have to endure the dreadful away end. IIRC our players were booed off at the end with renditions of 'You're not fit to wear the shirt' and I couldn't even be bothered to cheer our late consolation goal. Most depressing.

otterton reds

Just in case it hasn't already been mentioned, I will nominate the 4-1 defeat away at Wigan on Boxing Day in the early 90s. Chucked it down with rain for most of the day, we were truly abysmal and the only saving grace was that I was sat in the grandstand and thus didn't have to endure the dreadful away end. IIRC our players were booed off at the end with renditions of 'You're not fit to wear the shirt' and I couldn't even be bothered to cheer our late consolation goal. Most depressing.
Do you remember Mark Cooper giving us two fingers at halftime & David Fairclough was sat near us as I think he had just signed for Wigan