• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Strangely enough DB9 I could always fit a name to his face when I saw him in films , unlike quite a few others I could name today.
I did use to get him mixed up with Lance Percival

Banksy

I did use to get him mixed up with Lance Percival
Ah , now there was another actor good at bit parts.I remember him in another WW2 war film , Too Late the Hero. The ending avoiding the Jap snipers sticks in my mind , Michael Caine and Cliff Robertson , ‘ you zig and I’ll zag.’

Oldsmobile-88

Ah , now there was another actor good at bit parts.I remember him in another WW2 war film , Too Late the Hero. The ending avoiding the Jap snipers sticks in my mind , Michael Caine and Cliff Robertson , ‘ you zig and I’ll zag.’
A great film..I had forgotten the title until you just mentioned it.

Grecian2K

"Baby Peggy" - infant star of the silent movie era. Died aged 101.
Would guess she's probably the last remaining to have performed on camera with Charlie Chaplin when he was in his prime?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surprised that nobody noticed the passing of the actor John Shrapnel who appeared in films like Elizabeth: The Golden Age, Notting Hill and Gladiator.

Rosencrantz

Nico Portal, former pro cyclist who was Sporting Director at Team Ineos (Sky as was). Only 40 years old from a heart attack. He did suffer from cardiac arrhythmia during his career. Big loss to the Ineos team.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
RIP. However, Cussler, like James Patterson and Tom Clancy were part of a growing phenomenon called "partnership writing", where blockbuster novels are written in tandem with lesser-know author. Apparently he contributed just two words to his novel, 'Cutting Edge' which was actually penned by a bloke called Jerome Preisler.
Aye. I hate that and stopped reading those books. The problem is, as you will know, the quality plummets and the standard is so unreliable, not a patch on their earlier stuff. There's nothing wrong with a bit of collaboration, but that was just milking the names. Shame really.
Still, his earlier stuff was good.

DB9

Actor Max Von Sydow dies aged 90

GJW

Emperor Ming

Alistair20000

Really sad news as he was one of my favourite actors. Excelled in portraying Germans and had a cameo in Star Wars.

Flash Gordon is one of those films that is so dreadful that I watch it when it is on and must 'fess up to enjoying it. :) He was brilliant as Ming. I want the outfit for a New Year's Eve party as my daughter won't let me wear it to her wedding.

Massive filmography. A prolific and very talented actor.

RIP