• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Swindon Town Vs Exeter City Official Match Day Thread. LD2 Brexit Day

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Promotion winning teams:
Banks & Curtis
Beer & Kellow
Rowbotham & Neville
Logan & Stansfield.

It's true that being a lone striker is hard work and when you get the ball with your back to the defender you need to be strong and skilful to shield the ball and lay it off somewhere.
What worries me is that even with a good chance Bowman is quite likely to miss-hit. He definitely needs a lot more shooting practice.
It's also true that he hasn't had any partner up front or at least never a regular partner.
So I think Bowman is not suited to playing as lone striker but would need a lot of time with a regular partner for it to work.
Matt T obviously thinks Bowman is indispensable, always picks him and never substitutes him, so I can't see that changing. So we're gonna need more goals from Law, Martin and Jake, to mention a few..
If MT does indeed think Bowman is indispensable , he will have to stand or fall at season’s end on his decision. Golly , just think what any of the above combinations would have done to this league!

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
We've not conceded too many goals... Have a good defensive record. So people imagine we just sack our hard working front players who defend from the front, track back, put defenders under pressure, hold it up and win throws and free kicks all game. Replace them with players who can't do that, but are better finishers. Then we'll score more and nothing else will change. The goals conceded is all about the back three and the keeper... Some people don't seem to understand the game. Bowman might not be Roberto Baggio, but he offers an out ball...he wins it high up the pitch and brings players into play. There are a lot of players id rather be lining up against in league 2.

Can make the same argument for Lee Martin.

I'm all for Ajose, by the way, but when he plays, we gain something, but lose something.

Legohead

Banned
We'll see come the end of the season as it's unfair to judge Taylor right now however IMO his persistence in selecting Bowman when out of form and Taylor's persistence in not making decisive attacking changes in good time in games will cost us. Both are obvious issues but should we get top 3 then he's clearly had his head screwed on and managed us to perfection and my concerns were simply just that. Concerns and not reality.

Giving Ajose 14 minutes plus injury time in a game against top of the league and when we are backed by the largest away following thus far this season and in a game in which we desperately needed a goal isn't acceptable IMO. If he's fully fit and wound up then make the best use of him.

crocks

No doubts that Swindon are a good side and will be promoted. Couldn't believe it when they brought on Woolery....how many more good attacking players do they need?!

The conditions were extremely tricky to play good football. Having said that, City were let down by poor approach play. That final ball was shocking. You can criticise Bowman (missed a howler in the second half) but generally the service he gets is poor. With the wind in our favour second half, City hardly tested their keeper. And the delivery on corners was appalling. There were 3 in a row second half that didn't clear the first man. That was unforgivable. So, I would suggest that City work on crossing and generally improving that final ball.

Oh and Parkes needs to be rested......he has definitely lost his mojo.

Hope Maxted and Taylor aren't badly injured......

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
We'll see come the end of the season as it's unfair to judge Taylor right now however IMO his persistence in selecting Bowman when out of form and Taylor's persistence in not making decisive attacking changes in good time in games will cost us. Both are obvious issues but should we get top 3 then he's clearly had his head screwed on and managed us to perfection and my concerns were simply just that. Concerns and not reality.

Giving Ajose 14 minutes plus injury time in a game against top of the league and when we are backed by the largest away following thus far this season and in a game in which we desperately needed a goal isn't acceptable IMO. If he's fully fit and wound up then make the best use of him.
If you judge Taylor now, it's an A, isn't it.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
We've not conceded too many goals... Have a good defensive record. So people imagine we just sack our hard working front players who defend from the front, track back, put defenders under pressure, hold it up and win throws and free kicks all game. Replace them with players who can't do that, but are better finishers. Then we'll score more and nothing else will change. The goals conceded is all about the back three and the keeper... Some people don't seem to understand the game. Bowman might not be Roberto Baggio, but he offers an out ball...he wins it high up the pitch and brings players into play. There are a lot of players id rather be lining up against in league 2.
I am not anti Bowman by any means and he does put a shift in at the back in defence but I have not seen many games recently where he has actually brought players into the game.

crocks

MT disappointed that City didn't compete and were 2nd to the ball all over the pitch......

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
If MT does indeed think Bowman is indispensable , he will have to stand or fall at season’s end on his decision. Golly , just think what any of the above combinations would have done to this league!
Exactly and why I think with such a potent strike force of Doyle, Yates and Hope the league title is now Swindon’s to lose.

IndoMike

Yep. We could do with one of those combinations. Or Cureton on his own.
But you can't always have what you want.
Maybe we're overachieving already? It's all relative.
The goal difference shows that it's not easy for us. We need to keep our solid defense, but we can't expect them to hold out for 1-,0 wins all the time.
I don't think Swindon will drop away and Crewe seem to be consistent, so have to hope that Plymouth's mo will evaporate : don't think they are an autos team.
Northampton are coming up on the rails so I predict 3 teams fro those 5. Not worried about Bradford, Colchester or any others.
Whatever happens, it's gonna be pretty exciting.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Was disappointed with our corners, particularly the second half. Too often not getting pass their first defender.