• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City on this day

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
4 January 1969, Exeter 1 Manchester United 3.
Banks, 18500.

Best, Charlton, Law play for the European Cup holders.

View attachment 1498
A never-to-be-forgotten match. And we gave it a good go. I could have done without hearing Man U fans chanting "Exit, Exit, Exeter" afterwards, though.

I'll also mention that I still regret shouting abuse at Denis Law. Immaturity and over-excitement, I guess. Sorry, Denis.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Football Final edition of a sad occasion in View attachment 1494season that a few of us remember so well.
Blew his whistle and went down, Cowshed cheered.

Oldsmobile-88

1993 Martin Phillips made his debut at Home Park aged 16..I remember the game & thought it was a mascot coming on !
23FC3631-6A81-4F53-BBEE-881C35F44B10.jpegHe had superb debut from the bench.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A never-to-be-forgotten match. And we gave it a good go. I could have done without hearing Man U fans chanting "Exit, Exit, Exeter" afterwards, though.

I'll also mention that I still regret shouting abuse at Denis Law. Immaturity and over-excitement, I guess. Sorry, Denis.
Agreed great game and will always remember the back page headlines of the News of the World next day quoting Bobby Charlton’s words “They had us worried at half time”. No playing weaker teams in those days with Charlton, Law and Best all playing.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Blew his whistle and went down, Cowshed cheered.
Remember that very well and will never forget it he was in front us in Block A old Grandstand. It was truly tragic he managed to blow his whistle just before sinking to the ground and it was obvious to all that he had left this World.

IndoMike

One of my heroes. Pure class . Why don't we have characters like him any more?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member