• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GENERAL ELECTION 2019

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Having just watched this, I find have nothing further to add about the election and its aftermath. It appears I am indeed a centrist Dad, and I am yet to find a lid to out on my anger with Corbyn and his cabal

DB9

They won’t.
Blind adherence to political dogma is a defining characteristic of the hard left.
Then power we allude them forever. But in the 80's with Millitant they were curtailed, I have to hope these momentum lot share the same fate

Mr Jinx

I do wonder if things had been different if Labour had got 500 or so less votes in the Peterborough by election giving the Brexit Party the seat?

For me, that Labour win seemed to be some kind of vindication for Corbynism. That, together with the Stoke by election, were the only things he ever won with Labour if memory serves. If he had lost both of those I think there may have well been another Leadership challenge.

All ifs and buts I know, but history is sometimes shaped on such tight margins.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m going to hypothesise that actually Boris and chums aren’t actually that right wing, but more centre-right.

The issue is that Labour lurched so far to the left that it makes the Tories look like they’re more right wing.

The quiet majority have realised (along with the Brexit and Corbyn issue) this and voted where the quiet majority sit, ie the centre ground.

tavyred

Snakebite gets it.
Spot on.(y)

arthur

“In the weeks ahead, commentators will spill torrents of ink poring over the results. But if you want a very simple explanation of the election, it is this.
Deep down, we are a patriotic, small-c conservative nation.
We are cautious, grumpy and suspicious of change, but we are also honest, pragmatic and tolerant of difference. We hate being patronised, nannied and told what to do.
We despise ideology, we don't like being bribed and we hate being taken for fools.
We despise bigots and bullies, even when they dress up as high-minded martyrs.
And though we like to moan, nobody should doubt that we love our country.
Jeremy Corbyn never understood that. But Boris Johnson did. And that, above all, is why he won.
Well done, everybody.”

By Jason Groves, Political Editor MailOnline
I'm sorry, I'm not having this.
"Deep down, we are a patriotic, small-c conservative nation" This is from the same playlist as "will of the people" where one, albeit large, section of a large and diverse society claims that it speaks for the entire country when it comes to its values and aspirations. I accept that I live in a country where a sizeable minority hold these views, but I will never accept that they define what my country stands for.

I hope the left never behaves like this. The whole point of being liberal is that people can be free to celebrate their own values and develop their own aspirations without being told what they "deep down, are really like" (within the law, of course). And politics should be about building and sustaining a society where this can happen, not one side ramming their values down the other side's throats

Rosencrantz

I’m going to hypothesise that actually Boris and chums aren’t actually that right wing, but more centre-right.

The issue is that Labour lurched so far to the left that it makes the Tories look like they’re more right wing.

The quiet majority have realised (along with the Brexit and Corbyn issue) this and voted where the quiet majority sit, ie the centre ground.
Boris isn't particularly right wing, but you need to look at some of his chums like Priti Patel and think again. His first cabinet reshuffle will be interesting.

tavyred

I'm sorry, I'm not having this.
"Deep down, we are a patriotic, small-c conservative nation" This is from the same playlist as "will of the people" where one, albeit large, section of a large and diverse society claims that it speaks for the entire country when it comes to its values and aspirations. I accept that I live in a country where a sizeable minority hold these views, but I will never accept that they define what my country stands for.

I hope the left never behaves like this. The whole point of being liberal is that people can be free to celebrate their own values and develop their own aspirations without being told what they "deep down, are really like" (within the law, of course). And politics should be about building and sustaining a society where this can happen, not one side ramming their values down the other side's throats
I think as a generalisation, the character traits described are certainly those that I recognise. Why you have taken against what I would describe as a set of fairly benign observations on the British psyche I don't know. Describing someone as a "small c conservative" is a positive attribute I would've thought and certainly not something that is unduly negative as you imply. Understand also that a lot of your fellow countryman and women are patriotic and feel no sense of embarrassment about it.

elginCity

Boris isn't particularly right wing, but you need to look at some of his chums like Priti Patel and think again. His first cabinet reshuffle will be interesting.
Have long claimed the same. Johnson is no right wing rabid Brexiter by conviction, in fact unlike Corbyn I don't believe he's a Brexiter at all. The political chameleon and opportunist chose to steer the unicorn for personal gain and power and it's worked a treat. The regular insertion of 'one nation' into his later campaign rhetoric was a pointer, as has been his subsequent speeches. As was the demonstrable warmth that EU leaders displayed recently, there is a grand plan IMHO. BRINO.

arthur

I think as a generalisation, the character traits described are certainly those that I recognise. Why you have taken against what I would describe as a set of fairly benign observations on the British psyche I don't know. Describing someone as a "small c conservative" is a positive attribute I would've thought and certainly not something that is unduly negative as you imply. Understand also that a lot of your fellow countryman and women are patriotic and feel no sense of embarrassment about it.
Please can you define patriotic?