• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GENERAL ELECTION 2019

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
We should now be in a much stronger negotiating position.

I voted leave because I wanted us to be a free Nation again independent of the current EU set up and everything that meant.

Nevertheless I don’t want us to disassociate ourselves with Europe. I do not want to see EU break up and hope it will reorganise itself and move away from the concept of a federal Europe.

We are again living in uncertain times. Russia has been flexing its muscles for some time and I feel for the sake of a peaceful future Europe must stay strong and united.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just on that note Mike, the lib dems polled over 3.6 million votes, 11.5%, for 11 seats whereas labour polled just under 3 times that number for nearly 20 times more seats. I'd say the system is the most ineffective part of it.
Yes, Geoff. I mentioned a few pages back that the SNP got around 1.5M votes and 48 seats, whereas the Greens got around half the number of votes and only one seat. Hardly seems fair. But the two big turkeys won't vote for Xmas, will they?.And I guess the SNP wouldn't, either 😄
But that's a slightly different issue from my post that you are referring to.
Regarding Johnson, apart from winning a 2-horse race of an election where one of the horses was handicapped by its leader, Johnson has achieved absolutely zilch yet.
We've seen the stained cover of the book but we haven't seen the pages. He's achieved his lifelong ambition to become P.M, but now what?

IndoMike

We should now be in a much stronger negotiating position.

I voted leave because I wanted us to be a free Nation again independent of the current EU set up and everything that meant.

Nevertheless I don’t want us to disassociate ourselves with Europe. I do not want to see EU break up and hope it will reorganise itself and move away from the concept of a federal Europe.

We are again living in uncertain times. Russia has been flexing its muscles for some time and I feel for the sake of a peaceful future Europe must stay strong and united.
Sorry, Sexton, but I have to disagree with you on a couple of points
As a nation you can never be free, especially In this globalised world. Sometimes a country has to swallow its pride or even turn a blind eye to its own moral codes for pragmatic reasons. Just one example,. during the current HK - China confrontation the British Govt stayed quiet, knowing it did not want to upset China.
Trump tried to.intervene in our elections, but we stayed quiet, because we know we need him.for trade deals. So we're certainly not free to act as we would like to for geopolitical and trade reasons.
Regarding freedom to act internally,I don't see any huge negative impact on our freedom as a result of being a member of the EU. There might be a few rules that we don't like, but there probably are at the company we work at but we don't resign.
The question is, do the benefits of being an EU member outweigh the disadvantages?
We''ve been over this ground a million times before, and I think we're better in.
Ironically with your last sentence you say Europe needs to stay strong and
united, but you want us to leave one of the main European institutions that binds us together?!

IndoMike

The Guardian's General Election thread ;

tavyred

“In the weeks ahead, commentators will spill torrents of ink poring over the results. But if you want a very simple explanation of the election, it is this.
Deep down, we are a patriotic, small-c conservative nation.
We are cautious, grumpy and suspicious of change, but we are also honest, pragmatic and tolerant of difference. We hate being patronised, nannied and told what to do.
We despise ideology, we don't like being bribed and we hate being taken for fools.
We despise bigots and bullies, even when they dress up as high-minded martyrs.
And though we like to moan, nobody should doubt that we love our country.
Jeremy Corbyn never understood that. But Boris Johnson did. And that, above all, is why he won.
Well done, everybody.”

By Jason Groves, Political Editor MailOnline

elginCity

You want to be ‘free’.

Brexit by definition is going to mean European unity and security is weakened.

What is it with Brexiters and cake.

elginCity

EU member Ireland has been tasked to determine protocols required for the new EU/UK border in the Irish Sea.

‘Take back control’

tavyred

European Unity in this case is following Macon’s lead and pivoting toward Putin’s Russia who he deems is a lesser risk. Much rather the flexibility to follow our own chosen path and pivoting away from countries like Russia, who bring chemical weapons to Southern England.

tavyred

EU member Ireland has been tasked to determine protocols required for the new EU/UK border in the Irish Sea.

‘Take back control’
No doubt a sop to the Irish who were told last week that their privileged position thus far in the negotiations is ending and for the trade talks going forward they won’t be in the room with the Brits. Although the EU trade negotiator at the WTO will be Irish, no doubt he’ll be under instruction to protect Germany’s ability to flog circa 20% of its car output to us Brits.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
870,000 green votes for 1 seat.

Time to ditch FPTP.