• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GENERAL ELECTION 2019

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
You're looking at Angela Rayner or Jess Phillips. Both would make Boris squirm about a bit as they are pretty blunt talkers. That doesn't however go down well with some on this site. Whether they would be selected if they run by Momentum is another matter.
Ed Milliband altered the election process for the election of Labour Party leaders which lead to JC being elected.

That process would have to be altered,to stop a niche candidate being elected again.
From some of the interviews I have heard today,it would appear lessons have not been learned as to why the Labour leadership took such a hammering.

Oldsmobile-88

Much better if Momentum started their own party.
Can we please never again hear from:

The Canary

Owen Jones

Momentum

Ash Sarkar

Novara Media

Aaron Bastani

And all the other Corbyn peddlers who have proved to be so disastrously wrong.

Mr Jinx

From some of the interviews I have heard today,it would appear lessons have not been learned as to why the Labour leadership took such a hammering.
Indeed. Brexit is being bandied about as the excuse, in that Labour had to keep both sides happy; an impossible task.

But what they are conveniently forgetting is that if Corbyn had passionately come out for Remain in 2016 pre Referendum, then Leave may never have won.

He was simply too supine for a leader.

IndoMike

Ed Milliband altered the election process for the election of Labour Party leaders which lead to JC being elected.

That process would have to be altered,to stop a niche candidate being elected again.
Yep, it seems that Corbyn is unaware of his unpopularity. At the moment he's behaving a bit like a Rumanian dictator who doesn"t know how to bow out gracefully. He"s had two bites of the cherry, now it's time to clear off. But I think he might take some shifting

iscalad

Indeed. Brexit is being bandied about as the excuse, in that Labour had to keep both sides happy; an impossible task.

But what they are conveniently forgetting is that if Corbyn had passionately come out for Remain in 2016 pre Referendum, then Leave may never have won.

He was simply too supine for a leader.
No he is a closet Leaver.

Grecian2K

Have the Remainers stopped talking about the primacy of parliamentary sovereignty yet? :ROFLMAO:
Bravo! Huzzah!! Well played!!! etc etc.

Now let's just see if these blue and purple "unicorns" arrive as promised.
All those "new" hospitals, doctors and nurses.
All those promised "tax cuts".
All of those "Brexit Bonuses".

If not, after a full five years at the helm Lying Johnson and his spin doctors will almost certainly have nowhere to hide and (with the Brexit smokescreen out the way) he may not find it quite so easy to beguile and seduce all of those "borrowed labour voters.

Having said that Labour do need to focus pretty sharpish - and JC's fumble fingered responses today do seem to me as yet another of a long sequence of ill-judged mis-steps. The sooner the rebuilding begins the better - please let it be the lovely Jess, or possibly Angela Rayner with (once Brexit is out the way) possibly Starmer as Chancellor? Anyone but Repulsive Wrong-Bailey!

And finally the three slightly bright spots from an otherwise grim night.
1) Shouty, sulky Swinson getting the big-e. When the,Big Book of Terminal Hubris gets written she will surely get a huge mention.
2) Ben still cruising in at Exeter (and Luke Pollard too down in Scumland). Albeit with somewhat reduced majorities but still two encouraging red spots in an ocean of Tory blue.
3) Despicable Dodds getting the "Swinson treatment" too - and by those dreadful "Fenians" too. Arlene will NOT be happy. Mind you, with a clear republican presence now in Nor'n Ireland and the SDP (almost) regaining their former ubiquity north of the border the "United" Kingdom has surely seldom been potentially as disjointed since the 12th century?

Anyhow, congrats to the winners - off to drown my sorrows (while I can still afford it :cry:

IndoMike

I heard a rumour today from a friend in the know that Buck House is going to be bought by Trump and is to be named Trump Palace (very original).
There's gonna be a escalator sky walk all the way along the Mall from Buck House to Trafalgar Square. St James Park (no, not ours) will be transformed into a 9-hole golf course
Considering the Royal Family hate the place so much I wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

Rosencrantz

It is the factions within the party. I've heard some sense from MP's like Wes Streeting, Yvette Cooper, even David Lammy. But on the other side it's just change Corbyn for Corbyn MK2 (younger, fresher) and all will be ok. Britain isn't a radical country and any change has to be gradual.

Some of their policies would be popular with enough people to win, but not all at once. They just need to highlight the critical ones and be smarter. Selling off the NHS to Trump was over the top when the realistic harm was more to do with higher drugs costs. The really harmful and immediate problem was just the state of the NHS, but that wasn't the message that was being focused on and delivered.

Yvette Cooper was spot on when she said Labour are ok in the Cities, but have lost the town's. They need to strike the balance of Blair/Campbell pragmatism and the compassion at the heart of a Social Democrat party. The idealism has to be tempered and the leader credible enough not to be an easy target.

And they have to do it quickly. I just have a feeling that after selling out the DUP, Boris is going to ditch the ERG and make a beeline back towards the centre ground. Having got the blue collar vote up north, he has to keep them, which means the turbo boosted Britain has to stretch further than the M25 and quickly.

Last edited:

DB9

The one thing the Tories are good at, If there is a sniff of a leader that won't get them into power or lose it they happily get rid, This is exactly what Labour should do, Having him stay on will be a slow, long, political death, Everytime he's on TV people will not take any notice of him, He is now "Yesterday's Man" Politics is brutal, You lose, especially twice you're out. Having been at work today and only having the phone to get my info, All the Labour bigwigs are not taking responsibility for this utter failure, All they are say that is was Brexit, Well duh, Of course it was and you ignored all that was around you telling you exactly this, People were ****** off after three and a half years of arguing and stagnation in the HOC that still didn't have a conclusion, Well we have now and those Labour bigwigs won't suffer like the poor, sick, disable and vunerable will for the next five years, You have let them down big time by sticking your head in the sand and standing by a man who was so obviously unfit for office, Even Micheal Foot won more than him! All I've heard and seen today are Labour bigwigs excusing things being "Disappointed" and saying % of votes are this and that, You are trying to justify that you and Corbyn presided over the worst result in 80 years !

He was never going to win via the media because they are not on Labour's side for the most part, Yet since 2017 we had a Tory Government in that by all rights you should have pummled them, You should have been 20 points ahead but no, You had a leader with confusing policies, Hated and untrustworthy by the general public but took no notice when even the most non-political person could see he would never win, Now you need an interim leader, Send Corbyn, McDonall and Abott back to the backbenches and get rid of Momentum's influence once and for all and lets find decent centre-left people who can send Labour forward so they can be electable again.

Corbyn and Co have let down the people that needed you most and i hope you're happy with that!

IndoMike

It is the factions within the party. I've heard some sense from MP's like Wes Streeting, Yvette Cooper, even David Lammy. But on the other side it's just change Corbyn for Corbyn MK2 (younger, fresher) and all will be ok. Britain isn't a radical country and any change has to be gradual.

Some of their policies would be popular with enough people to win, but not all at once. They just need to highlight the critical ones and be smarter. Selling off the NHS to Trump was over the top when the realistic harm was more to do with higher drugs costs. The really harmful and immediate problem was just the state of the NHS, but that wasn't the message that was being focused on and delivered.

Yvette Cooper was spot on when she said Labour are ok in the Cities, but have lost the town's. They need to strike the balance of Blair/Campbell pragmatism and the compassion at the heart of a Social Democrat party. The idealism has to be tempered.
Couldn't agree more. If they don't strike that balance they'll never get their foot in the door