• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
His supporters alone won't win elections, It needs to reach more than them
Not sure his mad followers understand that.

“Oh Jeremy Corbyn”

DB9

Not sure his mad followers understand that.

“Oh Jeremy Corbyn”
Think you'll find that saying in very short use unless at a conference or Labour meeting, The days of the public singing "Oh Jeremy Corbyn" like at Glastonbury are well and truly over

Avening Posse

Not sure Magic Grandpa will agree with that.
He will probably say I may stand down, but only after a referendum is promised on it, but not before I have negotiated fair retirement terms, and the will of the people have their say, but not sure when, but to be absolutely clear, that is Labour's clear position on whether I consider retiring or otherwise.

On a serious note, if he does retire, I think they should give Diane a chance

IndoMike

I think ex pats like yourself Mike need to be cognisant of the fact that there is a slight difference between having a view on an issue where you look at things from afar without too much personal consequence and those with direct skin in the game as a British resident. An example of that you cite the potential loss of the ability of predominantly middle class kids to live and work in Europe like you did, I don’t know how often you visit home but for some of us, Brexit was about ordinary British youngsters not having their wages and opportunities suppressed by unfettered EU migration. I enjoy your contributions to this thread and you’ve every right to voice your opinion, but it is quite naturally informed by your decision not to live in the country we are usually discussing.
Tavyred,
There is no "afar' now. You can be in the middle of the Borneo jungle and still W/A.
You can get all the instant news, contact people immediately et al from anywhere to anywhere. You aren't disconnected at all.
I wasn't some middle class rich kid who had everything on a plate, but I was a bit adventurous and wanted to see a bit of the world. From the age of around 13 for family reasons I had to look after myself. There was no silver spoon for me : I just had initiative and a decent brain.
I am fully aware about poverty in the UK and the underprivileged and have often banged on about it on here. One of the reasons I am concerned about BREXIT and the Tory Govt is that I think things will get even worse for them. You don't have to live in the UK to know that. But the people who do seem unaware is the bleddy Govt.
There is a TV documentary on BBC World tonight called "Forgotten Britain" about this and the terrible effect austerity measures have had on the poor.

So this idea that "if you live abroad you don't understand" is frankly absurd. Millions of Brits live abroad and still have opinions : it's not just me. And sometimes people don't see what is in front of their noses anyway
But I'll be going back to the UK to live in the future so perhaps you won't feel my opinions are disqualified any longer.

IndoMike

I agree with all you say about Europe and it’s Peoples. However, the European Union is what we voted to leave and it is important to keep in mind the distinction. I doubt very much that the Spanish and the French in particular will want to stop Brits from settling there or visiting. They need and love our money.

As regards your question, I watch and support Somerset as it is the closest first class county team. Simples. I forgive them for not selling Gray’s cider. :)
OK. Well I watch and support the UK because it's the closest country which has England as part of it.

IndoMike

Don't think he'll have much choice in the matter, To be a leader after two election defeats will mean Labour unelectable for as long as he stays and even Corbyn will see that
He has to go. Has some good ideas but isn't strong enough to fight the good fight.

IndoMike

I think ex pats like yourself Mike need to be cognisant of the fact that there is a slight difference between having a view on an issue where you look at things from afar without too much personal consequence and those with direct skin in the game as a British resident. An example of that you cite the potential loss of the ability of predominantly middle class kids to live and work in Europe like you did, I don’t know how often you visit home but for some of us, Brexit was about ordinary British youngsters not having their wages and opportunities suppressed by unfettered EU migration. I enjoy your contributions to this thread and you’ve every right to voice your opinion, but it is quite naturally informed by your decision not to live in the country we are usually discussing.
Yes, you contribute your views which stimulate my responses and vice versa. That's a good thing.
But I don't think immigration is the reason we have unemployment.

DB9

So after all the blustering and buffonery I see there is talk that it is Johnson who has "Blinked" first and going to either compremise or U turn (Depending on which paper you read) with regard to the NI/Ireland border, Custom Union and Single Market. I'm sure there will be those that say how brave he was etc but if it is a re hash of May's deal (Which i think some on here said would happen) then it will be a huge climbdown and you have to wonder what the hell was the last 3+ years all about

IndoMike

So after all the blustering and buffonery I see there is talk that it is Johnson who has "Blinked" first and going to either compremise or U turn (Depending on which paper you read) with regard to the NI/Ireland border, Custom Union and Single Market. I'm sure there will be those that say how brave he was etc but if it is a re hash of May's deal (Which i think some on here said would happen) then it will be a huge climbdown and you have to wonder what the hell was the last 3+ years all about
A coup d'etat to get rid of May, I suspect, by the dastardly Cummings and the uber-ambitious Johnson. Let's be honest, it's no skin off their noses if we're in or out : why should they care? Johnson is not driven by principles : personal ambition is the thing.

tavyred

Hilarious to note that with the possibility of a ‘deal’ in the offing, all those MP’s that were going ballistic at the thought of no deal have suddenly switched emphasis and have started trashing the idea of any deal without another referendum. These characters have no intention in honouring the original referendum decision. Super Saturday is going to be interesting.