• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rumours abound that Boris is going to contest Beaconsfield at the forthcoming GE which is Dominic Grieve's old seat.

Makes sense. Uxbridge is just too risky.
But, surely with such a MASSIVE poll lead and popularity rating surely ANY seat in the country would vote him in almost unopposed? (Even a head to head with Jessa in his north London sinecure)
Still, slinking off to a safe, blue Tory bolt hole wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Once a coward and a bully, always a coward and a bully.

Last edited:

DB9

In an interview with GQ magazine John McDonnell says Jeremy Corbyn will stand down if Labour loses in the next GE, That'll put Labour voters in a quandary.

iscalad

In an interview with GQ magazine John McDonnell says Jeremy Corbyn will stand down if Labour loses in the next GE, That'll put Labour voters in a quandary.
Boris a shoe in then😀

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
6. You could always put me on "ignore", but then you'd miss my words of extreme boredom 👍
Sorted …

tavyred

Any implication that the millions of Brits who live abroad have no right to comment or don't care (a theory which one or two of our fellow posters have expressed, much to their shame) is absurd and frankly stupid.
I think ex pats like yourself Mike need to be cognisant of the fact that there is a slight difference between having a view on an issue where you look at things from afar without too much personal consequence and those with direct skin in the game as a British resident. An example of that you cite the potential loss of the ability of predominantly middle class kids to live and work in Europe like you did, I don’t know how often you visit home but for some of us, Brexit was about ordinary British youngsters not having their wages and opportunities suppressed by unfettered EU migration. I enjoy your contributions to this thread and you’ve every right to voice your opinion, but it is quite naturally informed by your decision not to live in the country we are usually discussing.

Alistair20000

Thank you 😂
But I'll answer your question.
Having lived in Germany and Spain I found the people to be incredibly friendly, especially the Spanish but the Germans, too. I think the quality of life in both countries (at least from.my experience) was (is?) really good. So I have an affinity with Europe (at least with a few of the countries) and I think our young people should have the chance to live there as I did.
I like the idea of inclusion, not exclusion, so I believe that close and very amicable relationships with the EU are important. I also think that people are always better people when their horizons are broadened.and they are exposed to different cultures, customs and languages.
I honestly don't see any threat, inconvenience or hardship resulting from being a member of the EU - in fact, the reverse.
Of course, I am English and an Exeter bauy.
Disagreeing fervently with Brexit, disliking some of our politicians and living abroad doesn't mean I wouldn't defend my country. I have never given up my British nationality here which results in me being much less affluent than I could been.
Any implication that the millions of Brits who live abroad have no right to comment or don't care (a theory which one or two of our fellow posters have expressed, much to their shame) is absurd and frankly stupid.
Finally, you support Somerset but live in Tebbern. So why do you feel so strongly about the Zidermen? 😉😉😉😊
I agree with all you say about Europe and it’s Peoples. However, the European Union is what we voted to leave and it is important to keep in mind the distinction. I doubt very much that the Spanish and the French in particular will want to stop Brits from settling there or visiting. They need and love our money.

As regards your question, I watch and support Somerset as it is the closest first class county team. Simples. I forgive them for not selling Gray’s cider. :)

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Not sure Magic Grandpa will agree with that.

DB9

Not sure Magic Grandpa will agree with that.
Don't think he'll have much choice in the matter, To be a leader after two election defeats will mean Labour unelectable for as long as he stays and even Corbyn will see that

Alistair20000

Don't think he'll have much choice in the matter, To be a leader after two election defeats will mean Labour unelectable for as long as he stays and even Corbyn will see that
I read an article in the paper that said some of his most fervent supporters were foaming at the mouth at some sort of rally in Northampton yesterday when it was suggested he should resign if he loses.

DB9

I read an article in the paper that said some of his most fervent supporters were foaming at the mouth at some sort of rally in Northampton yesterday when it was suggested he should resign if he loses.
His supporters alone won't win elections, It needs to reach more than them