• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was hoping he would.be a Chris Vinnicombe type. Remember seeing Vinnicombe v Blackburn early in his first season and he had the Blackburn right winger in his pocket.
Think that winger was Stuart Ripley, but could be wrong.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have a lady friend who lives within three quarters of a mile of Deepdale and she's hearing on the grapevine that Preston are interested in yet another of our players, and thinks it might be Sparkes.

StroudGrecian

I was hoping he would.be a Chris Vinnicombe type. Remember seeing Vinnicombe v Blackburn early in his first season and he had the Blackburn right winger in his pocket.
Was that the league cup game, when IIRC he scored one of the best team goals I've ever seen at SJP?

sidney

Jack is a very strong runner and will put on decent cross after decent cross...from left back 😉 or left wing back, or left wing. He has potential in all of those positions. But in our own past, not just Jack Stacey converted from winger to full back, also Scott Hiley and Chris Vinnicombe and Richard Dryden (who then went on to centre back). Also we have Josh Key coming through who can now play all down the right side from RB to RW despite starting as an out and out winger. A winger who is not completely light weight will always now be looked at for full back as well.
Going a bit further back: Campbell Crawford and Jimmy Blain - both converted to full back and excellent servants of the club thereafter.

jrg333

No young kid starts out wanting to be a left back so all these examples are pretty meaningless. All full backs are converted wingers - only difference is how early in their career they change position.

grecianstew

No young kid starts out wanting to be a left back so all these examples are pretty meaningless. All full backs are converted wingers - only difference is how early in their career they change position.
Is the correct answer! And any youth coach will not play their best player (which anyone who has a future as a pro footballer will be) at full back. As you say, in the pro game all full backs began their days in different positions

IndoMike

Was that the league cup game, when IIRC he scored one of the best team goals I've ever seen at SJP?
IIRC Stroudy, it was 1989 -1990 season - maybe League Cup 2nd round. I think we won 3-0. I was in the OG with my dad.
We played really well and that was the confirmation that a. we had a really good team and b. Vinnicombe was excellent.
I remember that Ripley was getting right peed off with Vinnicombe and they had a bit of a come together - Vinnicombe really stood up to him and showed no fear.
I've always been surprised that Vinnicombe didn't make the grade.
To be honest, I can't for the life of me remember the goals, which is odd because I clearly remember the goals against Sunderland.
PS. I do vaguely remember a goal sotted in from the left-hand side of the penalty area into the right hand side of the post - could have been Vinnicombe, but I wouldn't bet on any of that.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Was George Friend ever a winger?

Banksy

I have a lady friend who lives within three quarters of a mile of Deepdale and she's hearing on the grapevine that Preston are interested in yet another of our players, and thinks it might be Sparkes.
Not another £750000 surely? Seems to be their standard fee. Perhaps we can squeeze the beggars for double this time.Wish they’d just push off and find their players elsewhere.

jimbo-gould

This definitely isn’t true.