• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sparkes main asset is his left peg, he has the ability to put some great balls into the box, he can also score goals, his attacking game is far better than his defensive game, long term I don't see him as a left back.
His attributes as you have listed describe perfectly the modern day full back. Trent Alexander-Arnold, Lucas Digne, Andy Robertson, Seamus Coleman, Hector Bellerin, Keiran Trippier...

andrew p long

His attributes as you have listed describe perfectly the modern day full back. Trent Alexander-Arnold, Lucas Digne, Andy Robertson, Seamus Coleman, Hector Bellerin, Keiran Trippier...
and Jack Stacey...(!)

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think he has the pace or energy to be of that ilk.

For me he is a left midfielder who gets crosses in at every opportunity, that is his strength.

I think he has the potential to be one of the best crosses of a ball we have had in a very long time.

andrew p long

ECFC players since 2017 with the initials JS... moves since MT took over last summer

Jay Stansfield signed for Championship Fulham

Jack Stacey signed for Premiership Bournemouth for £4m from Luton

Jayden Stockley signed for Championship Preston for 750k

Jordan Storey also signed for Championship Preston also for 750k

Jack Sparkes...watch this space!

IndoMike

Sparkes main asset is his left peg, he has the ability to put some great balls into the box, he can also score goals, his attacking game is far better than his defensive game, long term I don't see him as a left back.
That's it then. Nailed on left back. 🤣

Rosencrantz

I don't think he has the pace or energy to be of that ilk.

For me he is a left midfielder who gets crosses in at every opportunity, that is his strength.

I think he has the potential to be one of the best crosses of a ball we have had in a very long time.
Jack is a very strong runner and will put on decent cross after decent cross...from left back 😉 or left wing back, or left wing. He has potential in all of those positions. But in our own past, not just Jack Stacey converted from winger to full back, also Scott Hiley and Chris Vinnicombe and Richard Dryden (who then went on to centre back). Also we have Josh Key coming through who can now play all down the right side from RB to RW despite starting as an out and out winger. A winger who is not completely light weight will always now be looked at for full back as well.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's it then. Nailed on left back. 🤣
Sorry Mikey, I don't have your 500 posts a day footballing nous. 🙄

IndoMike

Sorry Mikey, I don't have your 500 posts a day footballing nous. 🙄
Haha. Just winding you up a bit, Proper.
Sparkes is young enough to learn the role. You don't have to be a great tackler either to be a wing back nowadays : the important thing is to have positional sense and to be fast. Usually when a winger is confronted by a defender he turns and passes back: little tackling involved.
But, I see no reason why he can't function as a winger, too.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
From what I've seen of Sparkes he is technically good with a sweet left foot however he isn't the quickest or most energetic player, two things I would be looking for in a wing back.

I don't look at Sparkes and see a player in the mould of Robertson at Liverpool or Jack Stacey, both of whom are very energetic, athletic and capable of lots of lung busting runs down the line.

Time will tell however I believe long term Sparkes will need to play further up the pitch to get the best out of him.

IndoMike

From what I've seen of Sparkes he is technically good with a sweet left foot however he isn't the quickest or most energetic player, two things I would be looking for in a wing back.

I don't look at Sparkes and see a player in the mould of Robertson at Liverpool or Jack Stacey, both of whom are very energetic, athletic and capable of lots of lung busting runs down the line.

Time will tell however I believe long term Sparkes will need to play further up the pitch to get the best out of him.
I was hoping he would.be a Chris Vinnicombe type. Remember seeing Vinnicombe v Blackburn early in his first season and he had the Blackburn right winger in his pocket.