• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - Opinions so far..

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
One response to this is to ask why we have a rookie manager when last year we were strong enough to go up via the autos (Tisdale clearly believed so) and thus should have built on this head of steam with both the millions that have rolled into the club and an experienced manager.

By appointing Matt we are in effect saying that this momentum is sacrificed to allow a rookie to take charge and develop into the real article. All very well, but it didn’t work for Rob Edwards at Tranmere. I’m not saying get rid, he has got to be given a realistic opportunity now he has been appointed. What I’m saying is that Tisdale’s legacy is some great memories, our League 2 status and the strong finish last season, the latter which we may now sacrifice.
I agree with all of that, particularly the bit about Tisdale. He had us by the contractual balls for 12 years, and if he couldnt acknowledge that and accept the 2 whole years notice gracefully, then I'm glad he's gone. I'm by no means sure that Taylor is going to work out as a manager but thats the position we're in. If Taylors teams continue to serve up dross as they have been doing, then no doubt he'll be sacked. He's a nice guy, but sometimes nice guys come last; as the saying goes.

Stelios

Our Assistant Managers experience has been almost exclusively in Youth and Academy coaching so I think the accusation of a "old fashioned lower league coach" holds little water... There is no 'right' way to play football. Long ball, short ball, pressing...they are all a means to an end and that's winning. His assessment is probably correct, if you don't have players who can be relied on to pass to their own team members over a short distance in your own half, then it's probably better to hit the channels and compete for the ball in the opponents half.
I agree with this. Although I bought up Eric Kinder I didn't mean to try to put the blame on him. I was quite enthused about his youth coaching experience and it seemed like a nice fit for a club like ours that relies on youth players coming through. His previous club Blackburn have a well regarded academy so he's no mug. He does seem a bit 'old school'. But this may not be a bad thing. Who knows?

STURTZ

Petty I know but I'd be more happy with Matt if he didn't say "this group of players" during every interview.

Spoonz Red E

Petty I know but I'd be more happy with Matt if he didn't say "this group of players" during every interview.
It's not the only thing he says a lot - whatever else you can say about Matt, he's a 'looker'

Alistair20000

Is this the next Quiz question ?

Colesman Ballz

Or the new emoji ?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
For a first season I think Matt has done well, he seems honest and knows what he wants from his players, is not afraid to show his frustrations or elations at times.

Whilst a lot of talk has been made of our budget, as the season has progressed I have wondered how much of it Matt has been responsible for and how much is still going out on Tisdale contract negotiations (e.g. Tillson 3 yr contract), with these sort of contracts we are unlikely to see a true Matt Taylor squad for another twelve months.

We did have a disappointing January transfer window losing Stockley without any real chance of negotiations and replacing with Bowman (who I think will be better than Stockley in time) and not much else, although I think the Tomlinson signing for Mansfield whilst disappointing at first showed that Matt would not be dictated to by players or agents. I do also wonder whether he bears grudges as the dropping of Aaron Martin and subsequent lack of appearance since may suggest (injuries have been mooted but who knows, likewise Luke Kroll). But I think with Matt appointing Eric in a scouting/research role should mean that we are better placed in future transfer windows.

Injuries have been a problem this season which was something Matt was concerned with when appointed and although his first attempt of a Strength and Fitness coach hasn't worked out he is still pursuing this (interviews today I believe) and hopefully in time will pay off with less time lost through injuries therefore more consistent team selection

But with two matches to go until the end of the season, and with the possibility of playoffs still in the balance with Newport having a game in hand on us I think for a first season he has done really well.

With this said Matt is now approaching possibly the most difficult period of the season for him and his backroom team, that of the retained list and keeping the team motivated. In interviews he says he knows where they need to improve, he has mentioned the need to set up a scouting system and set Eric about it. He must know who he needs to release but how much of this will be tied by Tillson like long contracts, and therefore will it cost us to release, apart from Archie and Jake I don't think we have heard anything about other players having extended their contracts.

An interesting month ahead

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Does he command the respect of the players? I wonder about Aaron Martin, and a few other senior pros being blamed, if indirectly, for some of our defeats and in particular lapses in defence.

denzil

At least I understand what MT means by "this group of players"...………………….

IndoMike

Does he command the respect of the players? I wonder about Aaron Martin, and a few other senior pros being blamed, if indirectly, for some of our defeats and in particular lapses in defence.
There's always one. (facepalm)