• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Flybe Struggling (as ever)

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't assume that Virgin would cease sponsoring City if they are still going to operate from Exeter. Especially after having just acquired Flybe they would probably want to maintain good public relations with the local community. Agreed that might change after a couple of years.

AndrewP

It is possible that, contractually, a change of ownership could negate incumbent agreements. I agree, from a PR perspective it would be a poor move to terminate ahead of end. That said, a rebrand is likely as the news states they will operate as Virgin..... Iron patches for shirts anyone ?- agreements tend to be in blocks of time to coincide with scheduled shirt renewals.....

IndoMike

It is possible that, contractually, a change of ownership could negate incumbent agreements. I agree, from a PR perspective it would be a poor move to terminate ahead of end. That said, a rebrand is likely as the news states they will operate as Virgin..... Iron patches for shirts anyone ?- agreements tend to be in blocks of time to coincide with scheduled shirt renewals.....
"Connect Airways", IINM

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we were told at some point that the current agreement with Flybe runs until Summer 2020 and the Club seem to have been assured a while ago that it is safe, but this may of course be overtaken by events.

Agree that the negative publicity for reneging on the contract would be an incentive to leave things as they are.

There might well be a hostile publicity campaign if they did shaft us and by extension the City of Exeter. Not that Beardie would probably care, as he sips another mojito on his private tax exile island...

Edward

I think we were told at some point that the current agreement with Flybe runs until Summer 2020 and the Club seem to have been assured a while ago that it is safe, but this may of course be overtaken by events.

Agree that the negative publicity for reneging on the contract would be an incentive to leave things as they are.

There might well be a hostile publicity campaign if they did shaft us and by extension the City of Exeter. Not that Beardie would probably care, as he sips another mojito on his private tax exile island...
I am not sure Branson is the villain here. His involvement may save the jobs of most Flybe employees. I have less sympathy for the successive generations of Flybe management – it had a market capitalisation of £215m on flotation in 2010. A collapse to £2m shouldn’t be blamed solely on external factors like the price of fuel.

With regard to any possible future shirt sponsor, the Trust Board discussed the appeal (or otherwise) of commercial deals with gambling companies at the December Meeting and the minutes report:

“it was agreed that the default position of the Supporters’ Trust would be to oppose gambling sponsorship and advertising as a general rule, but that any specific matters which come before the Club Board should be brought to the Trust Board for consideration.”

StroudGrecian

1p a share, painful for the people who invested.
They gambled, they lost. I'll save my sympathy for anyone losing their job as a consequence of company mismanagement.

Last edited:
Virgin Money took over Northern Rock on 16th November 2011, according to here Newcastle's shirt sponsorship changed mid season (January) ... the commercial reasons to bury the Northern Rock name asap probably made sense to change mid season, I would be surprised if the same would apply for city & flybe - more likely a change at start of the season (but what do I know)

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

Branson no longer owns Virgin Airlines

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am not sure Branson is the villain here. His involvement may save the jobs of most Flybe employees. I have less sympathy for the successive generations of Flybe management – it had a market capitalisation of £215m on flotation in 2010. A collapse to £2m shouldn’t be blamed solely on external factors like the price of fuel.
I didn't say he was the villain, I'm sure you are right about Flybe's management being mainly at fault. I merey wondered whether he would care about ECFC losing £100K a year or whatever it is.

Actually I have a certain regard for him, I met him several times when he was starting out with a small record store above a shoe shop on Oxford Street and he seemed a decent bloke. And by all accounts his immediate staff think the world of him.

Though he must say a prayer of thanks to Mike Oldfield and Tubular Bells every night.

And of course we would presumably find another sponsor, though not one as steadfast as Flybe have been all these years. Maybe Sir "Call-me-Steve" and the University might want to ustep in? ;)

IndoMike

I didn't say he was the villain, I'm sure you are right about Flybe's management being mainly at fault. I merey wondered whether he would care about ECFC losing £100K a year or whatever it is.

Actually I have a certain regard for him, I met him several times when he was starting out with a small record store above a shoe shop on Oxford Street and he seemed a decent bloke. And by all accounts his immediate staff think the world of him.

Though he must say a prayer of thanks to Mike Oldfield and Tubular Bells every night.

And of course we would presumably find another sponsor, though not one as steadfast as Flybe have been all these years. Maybe Sir "Call-me-Steve" and the University might want to ustep in? ;)
And Mike Oldfield should be very grateful to Branson, too. Can't imagine it would have been easy to sell glockenspiels, tubular bells et al to any other record company.