• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Flybe Struggling (as ever)

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Branson no longer owns Virgin Airlines
Not quite correct. Virgin Group currently own 51% of the Airline (Delta the other 49%) though they are close to selling 31% to Air France / KLM and reducing their holding to 20%. Most of the Virgin branded enterprises seem to have complex and multiple shareholdings. And Branson is still the figurehead of the group.

I didn't say he was the villain, I'm sure you are right about Flybe's management being mainly at fault. I merey wondered whether he would care about ECFC losing £100K a year or whatever it is.

Actually I have a certain regard for him, I met him several times when he was starting out with a small record store above a shoe shop on Oxford Street and he seemed a decent bloke. And by all accounts his immediate staff think the world of him.

Though he must say a prayer of thanks to Mike Oldfield and Tubular Bells every night.

And of course we would presumably find another sponsor, though not one as steadfast as Flybe have been all these years. Maybe Sir "Call-me-Steve" and the University might want to ustep in? ;)

Have a look at tom Bower's book on Branson "Behind the Mask" for a different perspective/view of the man ! "Trust" and "throw" are words that come to mind.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
According to this article not "Virgin" per se but "consortium INCLUDING Virgin Atlantic and Stobart Group", with a current working title of Connect Airways.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46834827

dontpassback

Just a quick question,will Flybe still be on the shirts or do we have to start looking for alternative sponsors ?

Matt Russell

Just a quick question,will Flybe still be on the shirts or do we have to start looking for alternative sponsors ?
Do you want a quick answer, or the correct one?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
According to this article not "Virgin" per se but "consortium INCLUDING Virgin Atlantic and Stobart Group", with a current working title of Connect Airways.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46834827
Most of these businesses are joint ventures / collaborations / whatever, in which the "Virgin" stake is sometimes small or later reduced. It's just convenient to associate them with Branson as he is indelibly identified with the brand and generally fronts them up. It seems to be convenient for the other partners such as hedge funds etc. - they stay in the background and collect their share of the revenues and profits while others are the public face.

Boyo

Maybe Sir "Call-me-Steve" and the University might want to ustep in? ;)
Unlikely. This is the Director of Communications and Corporate Affairs (which includes Marketing) up at the Uni... https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/who-jane-chafer-you-need-1364803

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Unlikely. This is the Director of Communications and Corporate Affairs (which includes Marketing) up at the Uni... https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/who-jane-chafer-you-need-1364803
Well that was all bolloxspeak, Good for her another company to have on her expansive CV

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
They gambled, they lost. I'll save my sympathy for anyone losing their job as a consequence of company mismanagement.
You don't think that a fair percentage of Flybe employees might also be shareholders?

dontpassback

Do you want a quick answer, or the correct one?
I am sorry ,I don’t do sarcasm !!!!!!