• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Northampton Town Matchday Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
On my way soon. Need to get back to winning ways in L2. Expect a tough match, but should be some good football on show. I wonder of we'll get a number of changes in defence?

Jason's preview http://www.exeweb.com/2018/11/16/next-up-exeter-city-vs-northampton-town-2/

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
On my way soon. Need to get back to winning ways in L2. Expect a tough match, but should be some good football on show. I wonder of we'll get a number of changes in defence
I hope not, chopping and changing with a defensive line up wouldn’t be good news.

Woodman
Croll
Martin
Sweeney if fit!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd go with a back four of:

Oates Martin O'Shea Croll

We need more of a solid base.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I hope not, chopping and changing with a defensive line up wouldn’t be good news.

Woodman
Croll
Martin
Sweeney if fit!
Matty has been very critical of the team conceding silly goals in recent matches, now he as a chance to change things. O'Shea looked good against a young Rovers team, so it's time he shows what he can do a L2 game. I'd like to see him start next to A Martin.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thought I'd take a go on starting the matchday thread - I am still buzzing from watching us relegate Germany (which is kind of a big deal even for a half-Dutchman).
And I wrote a piece for today's match programme, so there's another good omen.
3 points nailed on!
Looking forward to picking up a programme today. (y)

Today's fanzine also has a remembrance theme. #SSD

David Treharne

Dull! It's 9c, but since yesterday the wind has swung round to the east and is blowing at about 2-3. On the other hand it's got rid of most of the murky weather that has descended upon Exeter in the last couple of days, and which led to most of the 1mm of precipitation which was mainly on account of a fine drizzle. It has continued to drizzle intermittently, but the wind direction should mean it will be a dry, if dull afternoon at SJP (and of course I mean the weather rather than the fare on the pitch). Be interesting to see if it brightens up later, but I'm not holding my breath.
For reasons I can't explain after a couple of recent home performances I feel quietly confident about a close fought win.

More at 13:00

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will be a tough encounter today I feel - Need to get back on track and some much needed L2 Points whether that is 1 or 3
I'll go a nervy 2-1 Win - Please [ecfc][G]

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
This will be a tough game, Northampton have some very good league 2 players including a few big strong lads including Pierre, O'Toole and Crooks, I think the latter may be injured at the moment which is good news for us.

We will need to be big, strong and disciplined, not a day for a limp wristed display from Woodman.

Abrahams must be close to starting today however we know Forte has got plenty in his locker, tough call.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster

Woodman
Croll
Martin
Sweeney if fit!
We have been poor at the back at times over the last month or two.

Sooner or later the likes of Oates and O'Shea need to be given a chance when it really matters.

Taylor has given the impression that Oates is a solid, reliable defender who loves to defend, that is what we need.

If Sweeney plays he needs to get forward a lot more, if he isn't allowed to / doesn't want to bomb forward he isn't the best full back defensively and often gets done by anyone with a modicum of pace.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Wonder if Sweeney will be on penalty duty today?