• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP redevelopment Plan A/B discussion

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
i think Pete is talking mainly about the aesthetics of having a shorter stand. In a perfect world Pete may be right, but I think in this case he is worrying too much,,

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
But its not shorter ..... Its all do with it being moved downwards to fill the gap between the new stand and the new away end (bangshead)

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
But its not shorter ..... Its all do with it being moved downwards to fill the gap between the new stand and the new away end (bangshead)
Exactly. And it hold a few more people; with improved views (no pillars) and better facilities including a bar and tv screens.

But apart from that...

AndyR

Sorry for not having previously paid enough attention but as there are quite a few folks on here that know the plans, can someone answer the following questions:

(1) I'm assuming the toilet blocks and refreshment kiosk near the jungle path are to serve both the new grandstand and the railway side of the BB?

(2) If answer to (1) is yes, are these the only facilities serving the new stand or are there others in or under the new stand?

(3). Again, if the answer to (1) is yes, what will prevent BB folks from going to the refreshment kiosk or toilets and then wandering into a spare seat in the new stand to watch the rest of the game?

(4) Where will the TV screens mentioned in John William's post above be?

(5) Unrelated, has the Club ever approached Network Rail about purchasing the jungle path?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry for not having previously paid enough attention but as there are quite a few folks on here that know the plans, can someone answer the following questions:

(1) I'm assuming the toilet blocks and refreshment kiosk near the jungle path are to serve both the new grandstand and the railway side of the BB?

(2) If answer to (1) is yes, are these the only facilities serving the new stand or are there others in or under the new stand?

(3). Again, if the answer to (1) is yes, what will prevent BB folks from going to the refreshment kiosk or toilets and then wandering into a spare seat in the new stand to watch the rest of the game?

(4) Where will the TV screens mentioned in John William's post above be?

(5) Unrelated, has the Club ever approached Network Rail about purchasing the jungle path?
No, these are for the BB only, there will be separate bogs under the stands. They replace the ones behind the BB lost in the redevelopment.

The TV screens will be in the concourse ("the undercroft") below the stand, along side the food and bar areas, so customers in the stand can watch the lunchtime game / see the scores at half time.

I understand that the Club has approached Network Rail and its predecessors several times and have been given a flat "no" each time. They are so protective of the slope beside the railway line that they would not even consider letting us have a flying freehold, i.e build out over their land in the air, which to me would have been logical and unexceptionable (assuming it was technically feasible on the constrained footprint of the triangle, I am not an engineer but do understand the importance of slope stability).

Anyone who has ever had any dealings with the railway industry and / or their lawyers will not be surprised at this.

AndyR

Thanks John, as a likely user of the new stand, that is very helpful.

On the jungle path issue, I guess that we have to hope that NR don't remove our right to use it as this will leave us where we are now during this period of redevelopment in relation to the BB, all entrances and exits having to be on the Stadium Way/OTR side.

IndoMike

Yes, I know, but that's what he's talking about..

PeteUSA

Your sir are a total hypocrite; you really are. Only a couple of weeks or so ago, you were as dismayed as I am about the pitch only reaching just past the halfway line!? Now you're taking the p/iss about anybody else who thinks its too short! Talk about run with the hare and hunt with the hounds!

Fareham Grecian

Only a couple of weeks or so ago, you were as dismayed as I am about the pitch only reaching just past the halfway line!?
On the bright side, it should make our route one style easier to achieve with accuracy if the pitch is only half its own length...

PeteUSA

On the bright side, it should make our route one style easier to achieve with accuracy if the pitch is only half its own length...
Very good. I think I gave you that one on a plate.