• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP redevelopment Plan A/B discussion

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is this the area that some people think the new grandstand should be extended on to?
It's where the toilets (2 blocks male and one female, turnstiles and refreshment kiosk are going to be.

I suppose in the longer term some boxes or a lounge could be built above, but not needed in any short to medium term future.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
1. What don't you like about the design and the facilties of the new grandstand? What would you like to see added?
2. Is the length of the new grandstand a problem? Can't it be extended later if we regularly get 9000k + fans?
3. Is it a fact that the club approached the developers and not vice versa?
4. How do you know the club gave in to the developers far too easily? Did you witness the negotiations?
5. How do you know the developers wanted the land desperately? Do you have friends who work for the developers?
Just 2. Mike. I'm not convinced the stand couldnt have been extended another 15-20 yards. Okay it would have to have been tapered somewhat if thats the jungle path in the picture. You know as well as I do that the money will never be free'd up to extend it at a "later date".

denzel

Just 2. Mike. I'm not convinced the stand couldnt have been extended another 15-20 yards. Okay it would have to have been tapered somewhat if thats the jungle path in the picture. You know as well as I do that the money will never be free'd up to extend it at a "later date".
Ignoring this season, how many times has the ground been full in the past five years? Liverpool, Carlisle? Even when we played Ar*yle it wasn't full. So do we need to spend any more money unnecessarily? Especially as it seems to be needed for toilets and catering at least

Spoonz Red E

I'm not convinced the stand couldnt have been extended another 15-20 yards.
What needs to be factored in is that we have lost toilet blocks and catering facilities behind the big bank. These have to be reproduced somewhere or we have to continue with just the one hut and toilet block near the Stadium Way turnstiles catering for over 3,000 fans. Any stand extension on that part would lose headroom drastically due to the taper which means you wouldn't get much underneath it.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Well its got me convinced ! I'll pop into SJP first thing and ask the contractors to hold off any more building works and tack on an extra 60 seats to the new stand and once finished leave the portabogs there for anyone who wants to use them during a match ! All we have to sort out then is someone who doesn't mind standing there with a tea / coffee urn !

Anyone want to offer their services obviously you'll probably get free admission lol.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Is this the area that some people think the new grandstand should be extended on to?

It's not easy to see from that angle, however I don't think it will look that bad.

I also don't particularly think it will happen, but there was mention of a possibility of extending the stand in future and building more permanent toilets underneath the extension. Obviously this would depend on funds being available to do this.

I do quite like the idea of potentially putting some boxes or a lounge in that area. It would look a bit strange ala Luton but would fill in the space and provide a modest increase to numbers along with the chance of extra revenue making.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't understand the argument that we don't regularly get 9k attendances so therefore there's no need to build a bigger stand? Surely the whole point of having the bigger stand is so that we can maximise the potential revenue when the occasion does arise such as Cup games against prem opposition.

It doesn't cost to have empty seats once they're already in place.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Thing is Snoop even if the stand were extended beforehand it would possibly only be for 100 or so seats , Is it actually worth all the extra aggro of having to reinforce the area that would be behind such an extension ? as we would have to pay for it ourselves.

Our capacity at the moment is listed as 8541 and as been said we couldn't even sell out to our inbred cousins down the road.

I personally just want to see the stand up and running asap then lets see how many empty seats there are in it and how that looks on the tv.

IndoMike

What needs to be factored in is that we have lost toilet blocks and catering facilities behind the big bank. These have to be reproduced somewhere or we have to continue with just the one hut and toilet block near the Stadium Way turnstiles catering for over 3,000 fans. Any stand extension on that part would lose headroom drastically due to the taper which means you wouldn't get much underneath it.
Any extension must be just for short people then, Spoonz..(just continuing your "liberte, fraternite et egalite" comment). Vive la republique de St James Park !!!

IndoMike

I don't understand the argument that we don't regularly get 9k attendances so therefore there's no need to build a bigger stand? Surely the whole point of having the bigger stand is so that we can maximise the potential revenue when the occasion does arise such as Cup games against prem opposition.

It doesn't cost to have empty seats once they're already in place.
If we have a cup game against a Premier league club more than likely the game will be televised and we'll get TV good money. The extra income from any huge cup game having an extra 500 fans in the stadium after any extension seems not cost effective considering our capacity will already be more than enough nearly always.