• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Besides, I thought the narrative was that all bankers are evil and should be burned on a pyre or something.
Exactly. A conundrum that is causing the Guardian amongst others a bit of headache at the moment.

Ten years ago bankers were the root of all evil, but now it's ok to be scared at the very thought that some might be off.

Still think we should have let the banks fail, rather than bailing them out. Then all of this would have been a moot point.
But we didn't and now they're trying to hold us ransom. Sod 'em. If they want to go, they should just go.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Still trying to peddle Project Fear I see. This is the same BOE that have punished savers whilst rewarding debtors for over ten years now and then they wonder why the country is on the brink of a credit crisis. And the BBC still give them column inches (mainly because it suits their narrative of course). Do me a favour...
I'm not peddling anything, old fruit, just relaying that another sector might be under threat. The financial sector doesn't just include bankers, it includes all types of workers. Perhaps if you worked in the financial sector you might be more concerned. I'm no lover of the big banks, and agree that they got away with blue murder during the financial crisis, but it's the people lower down the food chain that will cop it.

Alistair20000

Why worry ? The robots are going to give us all our P45's.

Avening Posse

Happy to give a more complete reply Monday when I've more time but generally most are content to sit outside the EU, many are content to remain signed up to the four basic EU freedoms via the bilateral agreements (of which there ar hundred in place and which took around 16 years to agree fully). Direct democracy and a permanent coalition government with full federal devolution of powers to the cantons also leads to a very different political a cultural environment so the two are hard to compare.

Can give more detail if anyone is interested.
Thanks Terry, I understand your point about the system there being different so hard to compare, but interested that the Swiss are not overly bothered about being in, although I think you are saying they adhere to the key principles anyway. I don't think they are thought of negatively by EU members but I may be incorrect on that. Have they ever asked the people if they want to join ?

Banksy

Which about sums it all up , as I found out to my cost yesterday as I tried to get my coding adjusted communicating with a bleddy Revenue computer.And with a throat problem too.

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

Not really. We'll all just get retrained on how to operate and maintain said robots.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
'Could' and 'if' feature prominently in that report. So, conversely, there 'could' be 75,000 finance jobs created 'if' a deal is struck.
As the saying goes: "If Ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no bleeding work for tinkers' hands".

Mr Jinx

Perhaps if you worked in the financial sector you might be more concerned.
I do work in the financial sector but I'm not worried one bit. All the current veiled threats are simply bunkum.

The biggest threat I've faced is globalisation and offshoring. I've already seen my job go East twice and West once, long before Brexit was even a word.

Alistair20000

Jinxster 1
Indo 0

:)

IndoMike

Jinxster 1
Indo 0
:)
You need goal-line technology, ref.

Status