• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Confirmation bias, or common sense ?

Outside the EU the UK as a third country will lose its passporting rights and have only limited access to sell financial services within the EU, our largest market, and only under license. That will not be an attractive option to foreign banks wanting unfettered access to 500 million EU customers.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Confirmation bias, or common sense ?

Outside the EU the UK as a third country will lose its passporting rights and have only limited access to sell financial services within the EU, our largest market, and only under license. That will not be an attractive option to foreign banks wanting unfettered access to 500 million EU customers.
Careful, you'll be accused of peddling project fear again.

IndoMike

I've heard it on good word that the UK Finance world is much more concerned now about Corbyn & McDonnell getting their hands on the tiller at short notice than any potential Brexit no deal. Brexit is the perfect smokescreen of course but it'd be foolish not to be considering contingency plans at this juncture.

Besides, you hear it all the time. HSBC have been making waves about leaving the UK for nearly 10 years now, but here they still are despite all the guff.
I haven't heard that, either. Maybe the smokescreen is the one you are erecting by diverting attention to Corbyn. But, whatever, maybe you can explain why May wants to withhold the information I mentioned in the post above about the financial consequences of Brexit?

tavyred

I haven't heard that, either. Maybe the smokescreen is the one you are erecting by diverting attention to Corbyn. But, whatever, maybe you can explain why May wants to withhold the information I mentioned in the post above about the financial consequences of Brexit?
Apparently there is a reluctance to share the impact assessments of Brexit publicly because it could unduly effect the negotiating stance of the UK with the EU. Looks reasonable to me.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently there is a reluctance to share the impact assessments of Brexit publicly because it could unduly effect the negotiating stance of the UK with the EU. Looks reasonable to me.
Indeed - this clamour for us to show our hand is puzzling. I'd love to play Poker with the Labour front bench.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Obviously, I'm no expert. But this doesn't look too shabby:

" According to the Office for National Statistics, Britain is doing better than ever selling services - including financial packages, pensions and insurance - to the rest of the world with an overall trade surplus of almost £21 billion with £38.5 billion in total exports in the second quarter of 2017.
The UK’s top market for services was the US which bought in £8.4 billion worth of services to the US from April to June far more than the £2.5 billion sold to Germany, the second largest market.
The UK services sector overall recorded a trade surplus of £101.1 billion last year with exports worth £262.3 billion.
The ONS also revealed that two thirds of the total exports go to countries outside the EU.
In 2016/17 the UK also attracted more foreign direct investment projects than ever before, with more than 2,200 projects – a two per cent increase on the previous year. There were also 75,000 jobs created, and almost 33,000 safeguarded – the equivalent of 2,000 per week."

Mr Jinx

" According to the Office for National Statistics, Britain is doing better than ever selling services - including financial packages, pensions and insurance - to the rest of the world with an overall trade surplus of almost £21 billion with £38.5 billion in total exports in the second quarter of 2017.
The UK’s top market for services was the US which bought in £8.4 billion worth of services to the US from April to June far more than the £2.5 billion sold to Germany, the second largest market.
The UK services sector overall recorded a trade surplus of £101.1 billion last year with exports worth £262.3 billion.
The ONS also revealed that two thirds of the total exports go to countries outside the EU.
In 2016/17 the UK also attracted more foreign direct investment projects than ever before, with more than 2,200 projects – a two per cent increase on the previous year. There were also 75,000 jobs created, and almost 33,000 safeguarded – the equivalent of 2,000 per week."
Obviously not lifted from the Guardian.

IndoMike

Obviously not lifted from the Guardian.
Neither was my post #1813, to which you haven't done me the honour of replying.

IndoMike

Indeed - this clamour for us to show our hand is puzzling. I'd love to play Poker with the Labour front bench.
Jason. By refusing to make public the results of the studies May has already shown her cards. Clearly the results are negative. If a prol like me can see that, I'm sure the Euro guys can.

IndoMike

So, no problem, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.