• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Mansfield Town v Exeter City matchday thread

Matt Russell

The goal we concede came from our throw in,I have noticed whenever we have a throw in,there never seems to be a city player who wants the ball,the movement is non existent.we conceded a last minute goal against Stevenage a couple of seasons back,and I just wonder why we don't appear to be on the front foot when taking throws ?
Agreed - just as good an attacking opportunity as a corner when up field and no offsides either. David Wheeler was the last player I can remember exploiting this. Often see the ball received by a player at either the wrong height for them or on their less favoured foot - puzzling.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I also concur about the throw ins, especially when attacking. There is usually almost no movement (unless you count moving behind an opposition player) and nobody really seems to go looking to receive the ball.

CC

What did Wilson do get his 2nd yellow card? From the highlight Boateng(?) committed a clear obstruction in the middle of midfield then it jumped to the ref pulling out a second yellow card?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
What did Wilson do get his 2nd yellow card? From the highlight Boateng(?) committed a clear obstruction in the middle of midfield then it jumped to the ref pulling out a second yellow card?
He kicked the ball away.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Decent set of highlights (i.e. not too much of our poor play!)

[video=youtube;leamYBaTJPg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leamYBaTJPg[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leamYBaTJPg
Just imagine if Jordan Storey had stuck it in the net at the end! I think that might have been his first touch, intelligent play in getting behind the defender.

PeteUSA

He kicked the ball away.
I thought the referee was pretty good and consistant with his cards. In the second half a Mansfield player kicked the ball into the crowd when the whistle for offside was totally audible. He was good on making players take throw-ins and free kicks from the right spot too. I have no idea what Evans complaint was when at the end when he totally ignored Tisdale, and went as fast as he could (not very fast!) to the referee in order to do some finger wagging and verbal. Any idea what his problem was chums?

Jazzi

Any idea what his problem was chums?
Probably nothing more than we'd nicked a draw!

grecIAN Harris

Watching their goal, Browner sells himself down the river. If he stays on his feet I would have thought he would have had a better chance of making a successful tackle or worst case taking a booking for what would have bee a blatant block on the player with the ball.

PeteUSA

Watching their goal, Browner sells himself down the river. If he stays on his feet I would have thought he would have had a better chance of making a successful tackle or worst case taking a booking for what would have bee a blatant block on the player with the ball.
I think Mansfield are being denied a certain amount of credit for their goal Ian. I dont know how us losing the ball from a throw in, well inside our own half can be put forward as any factor towards their goal; they still had a hell of a lot to do from that point on. It was a quality goal, and I cant see how any members of our defence could have done any better to prevent it. Pym never had an earthly when that final pass was threaded through. Just my point of view.

Legohead

Banned
Totally agree with that Pete. Mansfield took advantage and gained possession but then were quick and incisive to attack. The ball across the face of goal perfect for Hemmings to slot away past the onrushing helpless Pym. Great move and great finish.