• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

LGBT Supporters Group

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It does seem a bit divisive to have their own group. If you're gay/lesbian and you want to support your team and go an watch the football then just go and watch the football. We don't have black and white, rich and poor, old and young supporters groups so why have a gay one?

It's about the football not who's watching.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
It does seem a bit divisive to have their own group. If you're gay/lesbian and you want to support your team and go an watch the football then just go and watch the football. We don't have black and white, rich and poor, old and young supporters groups so why have a gay one?

It's about the football not who's watching.
We have a disabled one. Do you think there is something wrong with that?

WXF

Just out of interest, being naive that I am in this subject. How would anyone know if some is lgbt? Yes, there's plenty of intolerance in society but the sexuality or gender of a fan has never, in my watching of football, ever been questioned of a fan. So I have some appreciation of what IndoMike writes.

That said, I think it's a generally decent idea, because it brings people together.
Fans may not be the direct target of homophobia or transphobia but football isn’t often a safe or welcoming space for LGBT people. We still hear homophobic taunts at matches, while England still has the menacing record of the only gay professional player to out themselves as having committed suicide. I think having a group could help quicken cultural change by further normalising the presence of LGBT people, so giving greater reassurance to the many already in football and, ultimately, making it more welcoming to more LGBT in future.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The problems at Leicester City yesterday where they directed homophobic abuse at Brighton fans should remind us that football still has problems in this area. The Club and the Trust does get involved in LBGT matters, such as supporting the recent Pride march in Exeter.

The LBGT Group should be launched soon.

There are three incidents of homophobic abuse at Exeter games being investigated.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... How would anyone know if some is lgbT?
Well, I can't speak for the first three letters but I can certainly address the fourth. Generally speaking, at first or passing glance, you wouldn't necessarily pick me out from the crowd. However, m'duck, when I open me big fat gob ...

Last edited:

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
The problems at Leicester City yesterday where they directed homophobic abuse at Brighton fans should remind us that football still has problems in this area. The Club and the Trust does get involved in LBGT matters, such as supporting the recent Pride march in Exeter.

The LBGT Group should be launched soon.

There are three incidents of homophobic abuse at Exeter games being investigated.
Glad to hear that the group's getting launched soon, sad to hear that there's 3 incidents to investigate :(

geoffwp

I don't have a problem with anyone forming a group if they feel they are being marginalised and that a group structure would help them to better enjoy their visit to the park. However I do feel Mike has been unfairly and rudely treated. I've read his post again and I understand the point he is making aka one club, one set of supporters. Regardless of who we are as individuals we all come together as city fans. There was absolutely NO criticism of the op nor any hint that the poster was taking an anti LGBT stance and he made that very clear. Those who IMMEDIATELY jumped on his back could do with winding their necks in somewhat.

WXF

I think your and Mike's understanding of discrimination is about as thorough as Godfrey Bloom's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzPBn5SLcxE#t=00m30s

geoffwp

No. Just wind your neck in.

elginCity

It would be a shame if the thread took a turn for the worse.
Don't recall a thread with so many ad hominem attacks from each side of the argument, which is quite ironic really.