• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Siege army!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Exeter_City/Exeter_City.htm

In 1904 Exeter United disbanded and St. Sidwell's United FC (previously St. Sidwell's Wesleyans and St. Sidwell's Old Boys) took over the former club's ground at Bradford's Field. The new club was named Exeter City. Inhabitants of St Sidwell's parish had been known locally as "Greeks" for at least 300 years according to "Southey's Commonplace Book" published 1669. A century later Andrew Brice suggested in "The Mobiad" (published 1770) that this was a reference to the classical Trojan wars with the Greeks (who lived outside the walls of Troy as the citizens St Sidwell lived outside the boundaries of Exeter). Exeter City became known as "The Grecians."

The boundary was Paris Street. It was Parish Street years ago but lost the 'H'
Charming thought, but not historically correct.

Paris (or Parrys) Street was previously called Shytebrook Street as it crossed this stream, basically an open sewer outside the city walls, roughly where the Pyramids swimming baths are now sited. Before that it was Pareis Street, meaning an enclosure. I recommend the Exeter Memories website as an easy source of information for those interested in these matters.

http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/_streets/parisstreet.php

(the boundary of the parish was along Longbrook Street and Southernhay.)

FAN-TATIC

Noticed that at Walsall Nardiello scored his first with his left peg and the second with his right, so

Daniel Nardiello is out on the kill
If the left foot doesn't get you
then the right one will!

No tune, just a chant.
Revised it a little to dispense with the word "kill"

Daniel Nardiello scores goals that thrill
When the left foot doesn't score them
The right one will.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Paris (or Parrys) Street was previously called Shytebrook Street as it crossed this stream, basically an open sewer outside the city walls
:D

Say what you see.

Grecian_Jay

Just put the word 'Siege' on the scarf's.

Don't need any more than that, a red and white scarf with the word SIEGE written accross it for all to see! We could sell thousands and the big bank will look like a smaller version of the Kop on matchdays! Just what is needed to get an atmosphere at The Park!

Come on, some one sort it out (sorry, too busy myself)! Count me in for a tenner a scarf. All profits to the Trust!
I agree and I would also buy one but please don't waste the money and give it to the trust.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
:D

Say what you see.
There was a street in London used by ladies of the night which was originally called "Gropequente Lane". There is still a Grope Lane in Shrewsbury, and were previously several in different provincial towns.

ps

Just seen there's a Kasbian track called "Cunny Grope Lane"...

Last edited:

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Under Seige you say?? Hmmm.... catchy...

Grecian Max

What about this?

Grecian2K

Paris (or Parrys) Street was previously called Shytebrook Street as it crossed this stream, basically an open sewer outside the city walls,
By the same logic then, shouldn't the Tamar Bridge more correctly still be called the Shyte Bridge?

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
By the same logic then, shouldn't the Tamar Bridge more correctly still be called the Shyte Bridge?
Your logic is impeccable. I suggest you make the proposal formally to Devon and Cornwall County Councils; I'm sure they'll agree. Make sure I get an invitation to the re-naming ceremony.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
What about this?
Looks good to me. I'll buy one.