• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Swindon Town v Exeter City FC Matchday Thread

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very frustrating today. The temptation is to say it was two crap teams together but I know that, on our day, we are better than that.

We had no real control of the midfield and alternated between trying to walk the ball into the net to hoofing it forwards in the hope of latching onto somebody breaking forward. Neither tactic worked.

Best performances for me were Taylor and Hamer, the latter of whom saved ad many as four certain goals in the first twenty mins.

Both teams hit the bar and the best chance was a shot from Thompson.

Positives are an away point and Argyle losing. Otherwise, not a lot.

Banksy

Bit disappointed with the result , but when we build ourselves up to a win against an out of form (and out of Austin ) team , it's no more than to be expected . More concerned with the lack of goal attempts really , think we need Dunne back in midfield too. Glad for the clean sheet and point. Have a sneaky feeling we'll get a draw now v Southampton on Tuesday , beat Huddersfield (we have the hex on them after all ) and squeeze past Brentford by the odd goal in the cup. I'll settle for all of that plus Cureton's injury not being too bad .

journeyman

Interesting to note that the opponents in our next three league games have games against Man Utd, Arsenal and Man City, currently the country's top three teams. Wonder how that'll affect the clubs and their preparations?

Liam McNamara

Bit disappointed with the result , but when we build ourselves up to a win against an out of form (and out of Austin ) team , it's no more than to be expected . More concerned with the lack of goal attempts really , think we need Dunne back in midfield too. Glad for the clean sheet and point. Have a sneaky feeling we'll get a draw now v Southampton on Tuesday , beat Huddersfield (we have the hex on them after all ) and squeeze past Brentford by the odd goal in the cup. I'll settle for all of that plus Cureton's injury not being too bad .
I'm totally with u tHere mate!

Swindon

A good striker in our side and it would have been a Swindon victory quite easily. Credit to your 'keeper he made some good saves.

Second half was shocking.

Taylor was superb at the County Ground once again, held your defence together like he did last season. Your right back was given a roasting by O'Brien (strangely, as OB is usually crap) and would have been glad to see the back of him.

I think both sides will stay up, we need a striker, but neither side will trouble the top 6. Attacking wise, you were the least effective side I have seen against us this season but you clearly have players who can hurt the opposition. Maybe lacked a big man up front to hold it up.

Decent following from you lot, good luck for the rest of the season.

Poundstretcher

Poor game today. That could have gone on for days, and no one would have scored. Hardly any shots on target, very few off. Poor game for Tully and Sercs. Midfield were over run. Didn't get much better with 4-4-2. Jakey had a wonderful shot in the first half, but didn't do much otherwise.

Noble and Harley needs some work if they're to plat together.

Some work needed on the training ground.
Yeah, this.

Utterly numbing for the most part and descended into a competition to see who could give the ball away the most often. Swindon's left winger O'Brien was the best player on the park by a distance, giving Tully a hellish time all afternoon, however Swindon's finishing was like watching a Diego Forlan compilation tape that had been edited by a scouser.

I think the best way to view this is as one more point.

Banksy

A good striker in our side and it would have been a Swindon victory quite easily. Credit to your 'keeper he made some good saves.

Second half was shocking.

Taylor was superb at the County Ground once again, held your defence together like he did last season. Your right back was given a roasting by O'Brien (strangely, as OB is usually crap) and would have been glad to see the back of him.

I think both sides will stay up, we need a striker, but neither side will trouble the top 6. Attacking wise, you were the least effective side I have seen against us this season but you clearly have players who can hurt the opposition. Maybe lacked a big man up front to hold it up.

Decent following from you lot, good luck for the rest of the season.
Probably about right , but we have players who can score so it illustrates it's a midfield/ supply problem. Drop Sercombe , bring back Dunne , and give Harley and Noble more time to play?

crocks

That was an appalling performance - suffice to say that if Town had any sort of striker at all, City would have been 3-0 down by HT. This was worse than the away game at Orient, City were lucky in that Swindon were just as crap.

Positives, Matt Taylor back to his imperious best, Hamer was solid and Harley showed the class that City will sorely miss next season.

Negatives; Sercombe - utter dross typified by a header near the centre circle that went for a corner. He is providing so little to the City cause at the moment. Tully - probably the worst game that I have ever seen him play. He was roasted by O'Brien. Thomson - I just dont see what he has to offer, he is lightweight, loses the ball easily, rarely picks a good pass - total waste of a shirt. Nardiello - just poor. And Nobes ran out of steam in the last 15 minutes.

There was just a general lack of cohesion, nobody seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing and there was a lack of effort. One incident where 3 City players just watched one Town player challenge and get the ball.

So disappointing for the 950 City supporters who had to sit in the biting cold and watch that dross. That was not good enough.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was an appalling performance - suffice to say that if Town had any sort of striker at all, City would have been 3-0 down by HT. This was worse than the away game at Orient, City were lucky in that Swindon were just as crap.

Positives, Matt Taylor back to his imperious best, Hamer was solid and Harley showed the class that City will sorely miss next season.

Negatives; Sercombe - utter dross typified by a header near the centre circle that went for a corner. He is providing so little to the City cause at the moment. Tully - probably the worst game that I have ever seen him play. He was roasted by O'Brien. Thomson - I just dont see what he has to offer, he is lightweight, loses the ball easily, rarely picks a good pass - total waste of a shirt. Nardiello - just poor. And Nobes ran out of steam in the last 15 minutes.

There was just a general lack of cohesion, nobody seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing and there was a lack of effort. One incident where 3 City players just watched one Town player challenge and get the ball.
Yup. Extremely poor game. Most of Swindons attacks came through O'Brien their left winger who was man of the match by a country mile. Poor Tully. he got sucked in and blown out in bubbles.

davecg

I thought O'Brien was very average, beat Tully for pace and then hit the first defender time and time again. Very quick but no end product whatsoever. Just my opinion.

As for us, the worst 90 ive seen all season. If we had even slightly turned up we could have beaten a woefully average Swindon team. We were dreadfull, they were marginally better.