• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
People are entitled to their beliefs. People may seek answers and comfort in their beliefs.

The questions they ask may be different but it makes the answers no less valuable.
True, many people use their belief in religion to make themselves better people, this is a good thing. However others believe that I'm a sinner who is going to hell, that's just mean.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
However others believe that I'm a sinner who is going to hell, that's just mean.
They have the most amazing racing cars for you to use.

Shame there's no petrol for them. That's the helluva it!

Japanman

Good on you Lez

Hats off to those who have faith in their religion whatever it may be.

God doesn't have to be some supernatural being. It can be a force, like gravity for example, which regulates interaction between beings. We are, after all, just a mass of chemical elements.

Bittners a Legend

I don't believe in God; but I do believe in the importance of people believing in a God.

Last edited:

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Complete athiest, can't understand why or how anyone could ever believe in a god. However I never try and preach this onto anyone like they try to preach god on to us. Pisses me off when I can't walk down the high street without some geezer waving a bible in my face and spouting off a load of Dot Cotton.

Just let people beleive in what they want and let them get on with it.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster

elginCity

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing."

All you Hawking 'believers' out there, explain that one to me will you?

Mr Jinx

Well if there is a God, he didn't do Stevie H many favours.

Seriously though, nobody at present (inlcuding Hawking) can disprove the existence of a supreme being. Although Hawking suggests that if M-theory is ever proved we will finally have the answer. I think he's just sowing the seed before he pops his clogs. It won't put the debate to bed just yet.

And even if it did there's plenty of folks round the world that will refuse to accept it. What's the percentage of Americans that still believe the world was made in 8 days? Something like 40%?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
With the Mayans predicting the end of the world as we know it in 2012, now doesn't seem like a good idea to rub God up the wrong way. ;)

Grecian1987

I'm agnostic - was brought up Methodist and have flirted with belief and athiesm. I've personally never had a problem with anyone having a religion or atheism - it's only when religion is used for a person's own means, that's when I get annoyed.

The basic teaching in all religions is peace and loving other people. I can't have a problem with anyone who is religious (or otherwise) and practices these teachings. It bugs me when people 'find' God just before they die, or when they need saving from something.

Live and let live.

P.S. I do believe that Jesus existed.

Last edited: