• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe

Sandstorm

Of course it's all b*ll*cks, the cutting edge of physics as well as all the religious nonsense, the human race is just a virus (c. Matrix), when we have killed the planet we call all die and then there will be this big ol' universe with feck all going on, anyone tells you they know the answer needs a swift slap.
Well it isn't really a virus as humans can reproduce without the need of a host organism.

I had a whole spiel written but just deleted it. What's the point? It is so overwhelmingly likely that there is no "God" yet so many people die in the belief there is some meaning to the world.

Personally speaking I can think of nothing more amazing and inspiring than the idea of our fleeting lives being nothing more than an incredibly unlikely set of events coming together to give me free and independent thought. The idea that this was all part of a "plan" makes me feel worthless and nothing more than an animal in some planet-sized zoo.

People should be allowed to believe in what they want but we should have an established dogma that it is overwhelmingly unlikely that any form of God exists, rather than the world viewpoint at the moment which appears to be the opposite..

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
The idea that this was all part of a "plan" makes me feel worthless and nothing more than an animal in some planet-sized zoo.
Does it? please go on

Tada

Sandstorm

Does it? please go on

Tada
Well yeah - I don't like the idea of being created. I prefer to think we are the product of nearly limitless chance encounters leading up to this day. Any sort of "masterplan" makes life seem pointless.

It also doesn't really make sense. I don't understand how religion and creation can sit with evolution. As I said, many of the ideas religion puts out are worthwhile enough but I can't buy in to any of the god stuff. It seems so far fetched.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
One can fully understand the need for belief in God in the past. Up to around 150 years ago we didn't have electricity so how could anyone explain thunder and lightening for example. And what about earthquakes, volcanoes & comets? Then of course comes illness...black plague, cancer, etc, etc. Most of all this can now be easily explained scientifically and so religion find itself on a bit of a sticky wicket.

I still say let people believe what they want to but I am adverse to the conundrum we have with faith schools in this country, whereby the best schools seem to be those tied to a particular religion (C of E, Catholic, etc) and these schools ram religion down impressionable children's throats from an early age. It's clearly wrong and all Tony Blair did over thirteen years was make the situation much worse by wholeheartedly encouraging it. (sorry, just had to get a dig in there, lol)

Oldsmobile-88

whereby the best schools seem to be those tied to a particular religion (C of E, Catholic, etc) and these schools ram religion down impressionable children's throats from an early age.
Most do not listen..;)

When i was at school(66-77) there was still a religious assembly at the start of the day(i believe this has been dispensed with now from most schools)....& i doubt many of the pupils at that time took much of it on board & the same would apply today...

Poulticedale

I've met Stephen Hawking. He's very intelligent but - and keep this between us - he is actually in a wheelchair and can't talk properly.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Well yeah - I don't like the idea of being created. I prefer to think we are the product of nearly limitless chance encounters leading up to this day. Any sort of "masterplan" makes life seem pointless.

It also doesn't really make sense. I don't understand how religion and creation can sit with evolution. As I said, many of the ideas religion puts out are worthwhile enough but I can't buy in to any of the god stuff. It seems so far fetched.
That is quite a interesting stand you have.And fair enough. I myself cant see chance as a plausible explanation to our exsistance. Especially when it comes to us having a conscience!!

Tada

Swanaldo

I myself cant see chance as a plausible explanation to our exsistance.
It's called natural selection or evolution and is scientific FACT. It's really not that difficult Lez. I suggest you read any of Richard Dawkins' books.

Mr Jinx

It's called natural selection or evolution and is scientific FACT. It's really not that difficult Lez. I suggest you read any of Richard Dawkins' books.
I suggest you don't - a really heavy read. Just watch one of his many C4 progs instead.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest you don't - a really heavy read. Just watch one of his many C4 progs instead.
I have watched all his programmes he has produced and read the God delusion... still not convinced

Tada